Plastic kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic kegs

What are your opinions on plastic kegs? I have an opportunity to buy several of them locally but I don't have any experience with plastic kegs.

Originally posted by baer19d View Post
    What are your opinions on plastic kegs? I have an opportunity to buy several of them locally but I don't have any experience with plastic kegs.
    If you're talking about PKA kegs...google plastic keg explosion

Regards,
    Mike

Comment

Considering the abuse that our SS kegs suffer, and the potential consequences of a ruptured keg on the keg washer/filler, I'd avoid 'em like the plague.

We do use one-way disposable kegs for shipping overseas, but they don't get re-used (I hope).
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        We do use one-way disposable kegs for shipping overseas, but they don't get re-used (I hope).
        hey timm-

what's your take on the one way kegs? losing any to damage in transit? no customer reports of oxidation or losing carbonation? its time to start doing some kegging at the little nano in baja, and im having nightmares thinking about paying 16% import tax plus shipping, customs broker fees, etc. on top of the typical SS keg price in US. and i have no desire to make multiple trips across the border with a bunch of empty kegs in the back of my SUV.

these guys cheap enough to not worry that they're single use? no special equipment needed in terms of sanitzing/filling/etc vs normal kegs?

Comment

quality kegs made in Mexico

[QUOTE=brain medicine;220549]hey timm-

im having nightmares thinking about paying 16% import tax plus shipping, customs broker fees, etc. on top of the typical SS keg price in US. and i have no desire to make multiple trips across the border with a bunch of empty kegs in the back of my SUV.

Portinox/Thiellman makes kegs in Saint Luis Potosi Mexico. I don't know why you would have to purchase in the US and cross the border.

Comment

Because thats what every nano i have spoken with told me they did. When you live in Tijuana and grab kegs from san diego you can bring them back one or two at a time in your car, easy. Make multiple trips. Ask your friends and relatives to help. But Im way up in SF. Not easy.

And as SAN Luis is literally across the country from Tijuana thats a long way to ship. Im not an expert but the partners tell me shipping rates can vary wildly in Mexico for commercial goods.

Long story short, the kegs in baja are typically used kegs from the US, or increasingly the little plastic guys. And to make matters worse, the bars around Tijuana that do craft draft seem to prefer sixtels, which only hold 1/3 the beer of a half bbl keg, but unfortunately are not priced at 1/3 the cost. And one ways don’t require a deposit. No worries over losing them either. I assume this is why the plastic guys are gaining popularity and showing up more and more in Tijuana .

When in rome......

Comment

Working...
            X