PDA

View Full Version : Kettle elements causing vibration

amylittle
09-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Has anyone come across heating elements causing the kettle to vibrate. This only happens with wort and not with water only. The elements are placed pretty low to the base of the kettle and are offset from the middle, and this has not happened in similarly designed systems. Thanks

rdcpro
09-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Has anyone come across heating elements causing the kettle to vibrate. This only happens with wort and not with water only. The elements are placed pretty low to the base of the kettle and are offset from the middle, and this has not happened in similarly designed systems. Thanks

I have a theory, but it's kind of flimsy. I think the reason it does it with wort and not plain water is that 50/60 Hz is very near a natural harmonic of the kettle when the liquid is at the specific gravity of wort. Plain water changes the dynamics and the natural harmonic changes, and is farther away from the line frequency. It's a hard theory to prove, but perhaps you can change something with the kettle to alter the harmonic. Like strapping something to the side, I dunno.

Does this happen if the kettle level is much lower?

Does it happen both before and after you come to a boil?

It might be just the element that is vibrating. I don't know what kind or how big the element is, but if you can change it's position (rotate it, use a different type of gasket), maybe you can get the vibration to stop or at least be reduced. Possibly temporarily attach a small piece of compatible metal across the loops at the end of the element and see if the vibration stops.

Regards,
Mike Sharp

FermentedMatt
11-16-2017, 12:53 PM
I have come across this as well. I have a 1bbl stout system and s type coils. it never happens in the hlt but will in the boil kettle. I haven't noticed if it was only with wort though.