CO2 Vol. calcutation for Stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 Vol. calcutation for Stout

When carbonating our Stout, I'm facing a problem: the Zham chart doesn't go as low as I would like to. I'm shooting for 1.3

Anyone knoowing the calcuation for Temperature<>PSI to get the dissolved volume?

Cheers!

Zb

Carbon Dioxide corrections

This gets a bit complicated because of standard temperature. It has been done (via equations) at 20 C and I think can be found in the ASBC Methods Manual (The full version not the Craft Version). Also the polynomials are out there from Wallerstein Communications (very old). I have somewhere but not hands-on. It should be possible to figure this out though.

Comment

Why so low??

Comment

I would expect the volumes of CO2 in the beer after fermentation is about this level you are aiming for. IMHO 1.30 seems a bit low but I guess if we all made our beers the same way, then craft beer would be pretty boring.

mmmm,stout.....yummy! I'm brewing one tommorrow and can't wait to tap it.

-Beaux

Comment

Ok I found these values in my Handbook of Basic Brewing Calculations.

CO2 saturation in Beer at Atmospheric Pressure:

Temp(F) Vol CO2/Vol Beer
          32 1.70
          34 1.62
          36 1.56
          37 1.51
          39 1.45
          41 1.40
          43 1.36
          46 1.26
          50 1.17
          59 1.00
          68 0.86

So for 1.3 Vol CO2 just leave the beer at about 45F at
          atmospheric pressure.

Steve

Comment

Hi Zb:

You can see the following link for a more complete Carbonation Chart
            http://www.simgo.com/draft1.htm or you can use the formula presented in the next link to complete the Zahm & Nagel Carbonation Chart http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public...s/balance.html .

Likewise I have a small simple Excel program in which the pressure formula presented in the above link is applied.
            It calculates the CO2 Carbonation Volume, if you know the Pressure (PSI) and Temperature (°F).
            Also, it calculates the Pressure, if you know the CO2 Carbonation Volume and the Temperature (°F).

If you are interested in it, please send me a pm or your email.

Fausto

Comment

Zucker,

Heat the unit (shaker flask) under warm (not hot) water until you get into a range of temperature that is readable. Pressure will rise accordingly.

Doing a nitro?

Pax.

Liam
              Liam McKenna
              www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Not exactly doing a nitro (... well, I think so). Will use the Stout faucet with a 70-30 gaz mixture

thanks for your answers (all)

b.

Comment

Look up the meheen website. www.meheen-manufacturing.com if I remember correctly. They have a pretty good chart. You will have to convert it to deg C if you are not in deg F - but that's just a a while on a spreadsheet

Cheers
                  dick

Comment

Working...
                  X