BOD's and Septic System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOD's and Septic System

Does anyone out there know if it's possible to install a brewing system (7bbl) that must be connected to a septic system?

If so must there be a wast-water treatment tank?

Thanks
    ctbrewpub

Yes it is possible. I know of a brewery on the Isle of Man which puts wastewater into a local stream, although not directly. The do a very thourough job of cleaning up the water first.

I beleive the way they do it is this:

1) The effluent goes through a screen at the back of the plant. This catches hops, malt, shives, pens, etc. This needs to be cleared at least once or twice a day. The waste from this goes into the rubbish.

2) The effluent goes into a large settling tank to reduce suspended solids. This needs to have the sludge at the bottom pumped out from time to time. This also allows the extremes of pH and temperature to be reduced by a large mass of effluent.

3) The effluent goes through a series of 4 reed beds, basically man-made swamps. It goes through only two at one time. It will go through at set of two for roughly 6 months and then switch to the other two, to give the first set a "rest".

4) The effluent then goes into a large pond which then feeds slowly into the stream.

I may be missing some steps here but that is the main thrust of the system. Quite an undertaking to put it in but it works wonderfully. Obviously, you will need to be VERY careful about what you put "to drain" but it can be done.

I would suggest looking for further information on this topic in Britan as the Brits have some very restrictive effluent regulations and have developed good systems for dealing with these issues for small breweries.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Matthew Letki
    Brewmaster
    Steam Whistle Brewing
    416-362-2337 #228
    Matthew@steamwhistle.ca

Comment

Working...
    X