Coca-Cola Tank to serving tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coca-Cola Tank to serving tank

Hi - we've bought a couple of old coca cola tanks - see photos attached - would like to use them as serving tanks but see photo - it says Maximum Working Pressure is 0.24 bars?? I've seen the same ones used with higher pressure so what do you think??

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171122_142202.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	195413Click image for larger version

Name:	YjBjYzg3NjAxM2JjZjU0MTgwNGY3ZWRkNTY2YjkzZmSDTv0EzPnVYUD6OSXFARoWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF.jpeg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	195414

Bright tanks are usually rated at around 2 bar--more than 8 times the rating on those. Just to maintain carbonation would be over 4 times the pressure rating. A bursting tank with gas pressure over liquid is a way to destroy facilities and kill/main employees.

Don't even consider it.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      Bright tanks are usually rated at around 2 bar--more than 8 times the rating on those. Just to maintain carbonation would be over 4 times the pressure rating. A bursting tank with gas pressure over liquid is a way to destroy facilities and kill/main employees.

Don't even consider it.
      This....the liability is not even worth the risk. Usually a pressure rated vessel is tested to 5/3rd working pressure, but that is a stress test and not recommended for use. I would use these for CIP purposes or something non pressure related. I would also avoid going near one that someone else is using under pressure and advise them of the risks. A lot of tanks look similar, but may not have the same pressure rating. It could just start to leak, or it could have a catastrophic failure. Wouldn't want to be there to find out.

Another idea - Purchase an in-line nitrogenator that uses flat beer and use them for serving vessels to that.

Comment

I am really surprised by that low rating. I am pretty sure that I've seem them higher too... Maybe it's some component of them (like the sight gauge)?

I'd reach out to the manufacturer. It's possible that they can be modified by replacing fittings to work as serving tanks. Worth a try. But obviously don't use as is.

Comment

Yeah, Chart Industries lists their version of this tank at 4 bar. Weird.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	191580

Comment

did you ever find out any more info? I have 2 that i bought for the same reason.

Comment

Working...
            X