PBW soak did this to titanium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBW soak did this to titanium?

so i soaked a carbonation stone in pbw overnight, then rinsed and quick soaked in starsan.

and look what happened...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	195450

pretty colors and all, but anyone ever seen this before? any ideas?

thanks!

You made your own lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by PSkelton View Post
      You made your own lightsaber
      the schwartz is strong with this one...

Comment

On another note - why do you have a titanium stone?

Comment

Originally posted by PWB View Post
          so i soaked a carbonation stone in pbw overnight, then rinsed and quick soaked in starsan.

and look what happened...

[ATTACH]55804[/ATTACH]

pretty colors and all, but anyone ever seen this before? any ideas?

thanks!
          I'm wondering if this is due to during the PBW wash, hydrogen peroxide was formed, causing a layer of oxide to be deposited on the stone resulting in these colors. I came across a paper showing discoloration of certain titanium alloys in a solution with hydrogen peroxide was the result of corrosion and/or the formation of a thick oxide layer (https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article.../_pdf/-char/en). It concluded that hydrogen peroxide solutions with a pH of 4% and lower increased the discoloration whereas a pH of 5-6% showed much less discoloration.
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I thought PBW is caustic, or at least strongly alkaline (this isn't available as far as I know in the UK - hence the slight vagueness about the materials it is made up of) - so these comments shouldn't apply, as the pH should be 7+

Interesting article though - better stick to flashy gold teeth instead!!
            dick

Comment

What's in Starsan? If it has PAA, that would do the trick.

Were there any other metals in the soak with that? Metal tub? If there was a galvanically reactive metal in electrical contact with the titanium, it could have "anodized" the stone, which is how those brightly colored titanium earrings and bracelets are made.

The discoloration is just a very thin layer of titanium oxide. The different colors are different thicknesses of the oxide. I doubt it will in any way affect the function of the stone.

But again, why a titanium stone? Never seen or heard of one before.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Very nice and thoughtful replies, thanks. i've spoken to various folks, including five star. real titanium should never really react with anything, barring some other strange metal being in the bucket during the soak. all other objects were stainless and they came out fine. that said...

why in the world would anyone make a titanium carb stone? seems it would be very expensive and unnecessary. so this is what i'm thinking...

the outfit that sold me the stone lists it as being made from titanium. it's made in china. i'm sure that's what the factory in china told the seller (who are great guys and won't be mentioned here, i don't think they've done anything intentional, and they've sent me a replacement stone... which just did a similar color change). so is this a case of a chinese company pulling a fast one? here's a side story to consider regarding china and equipment companies...

a professional brewer buddy of mine, with over 20 years experience, recently went to china. looking for a new system, brewhouse and tanks and all, he toured 11 factories making brewing equipment. what he saw is very interesting. basically he said a third of the places were train wrecks, the other third mediocre to good, then the last few were making very high quality systems. he wound up buying a system from the 2nd or 3rd from the top, and is quite happy. in that factory he began to wonder how they could produce such complete, high quality equipment for such low prices... then he saw the foam pads on the floor. the workers were sleeping in the factory and i suspect their shifts extended beyond the 8 hour mark. whether that aspect bars folks from purchasing, i'll leave to another discussion.

so there is great equipment being made in china. and horrible and so-so stuff, too. my light saber "titanium" carb stone may have come from one of the so-so's or train wrecks. in any case, not a huge deal, and i just ordered a good ol' stainless stone just to be safe. the discolored stones seem to work but i'm too anal retentive to deal with funky colors.

Comment

Might I offer a humble suggestion: Put this into a clear vessel filled with water (or similar), bubble air through it with an aquarium pump and sell it as a "magic wand" in your brewery gift shop.

(Just a long winded way of saying it looks cool)

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBBR View Post
                    Might I offer a humble suggestion: Put this into a clear vessel filled with water (or similar), bubble air through it with an aquarium pump and sell it as a "magic wand" in your brewery gift shop.

(Just a long winded way of saying it looks cool)

Dave
                    dig it, man. my brewery tour will be a quick one...

"how is beer made?"

"magic, son."

Comment

to wrap up, got a new stone from a different supplier, put it through its cleaning paces, and all is good.

the magic wand stone will probably end up in my 4 year old daughter's toy bin.

Comment

Working...
                      X