Any Small BBL systems that work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Small BBL systems that work???

Are there breweries out there that are successful brewing with smaller systems, in the 3-5bbl range. I understand the "it takes the same time to brew one gallon as it does one million" theory but feel there must be breweries out there sticking with small bathces. Most likely running twice the fermenters/conditioning tanks. I was able to tour the Dragonead brewery in Warren MI and had a nice chat with one of the owners. They run a 3.5bbls system with two boil pots and a bunch of fermenters brewing 3 batches a day. In their pub they have around 50 house brewed beers on tap! Their "Final Absolution" Triple won the 2006 World Beer cup Belgian category!
    Anyone with POSSITIVE (ive already read the negative) feedback would be appreciated!
    Nick

5 bbl brewery

I currently have a 5 bbl brewhouse with 2-10bbl fermenters and 4-5bbl fermenters, and 8 serving vessels for my brewpub (purchased used). We opened in Oct of 2006, and have already decided on increasing capacity by selling the 4 small FVs and buying 4 new 10bbl FVs. Depends on how much beer you sell and how long you ferment them (2 of my "house" beers are lagers).

Have a lot more to tell you...all good. Shoot me an e-mail. Have pictures/procedures...whatever you like. I love my little brewery.

Tim Stumpf
    Head Brewer-IronHill Phoenixville

tims@ironhillbrewery.com

Comment

I love the idea of going small batches and offering more variety... I'm curious to hear of other people's experience with this...
      Scott Metzger
      Freetail Brewing Co.
      San Antonio, TX

Comment

ten gallon miniature production microbrewery

When I took the pro-brewer plunge I ran out of capital after getting the building up. With no pub to support it and no one willing to take any risk with me I defaulted to making ten gallon batches. I bottle by hand, print my own labels on my PC and sell everything I make as fast as I make it to local grocery stores. I'm turning fermenters every two weeks. I pay myself five bucks for each case sold. Ain't much, but it is profitable, at least in pennies. Good thing the wife is working!

I wish I had a 3.5, 5, 7 or 10 bbl system. I just need some capital or to borrow someone's mothballed brewing system. Any idle equipment laying about out there?

Steffan
        Steffan's Aldergrove Brewery

Comment

I've used a 5 bbl system from DME to produce lots of great beer. 100 seat pub with 6 x 10 bbl fermenters and 7 x 10 bbl bright tanks. Might have set a new record for single-handed production: 8 full brewlengths in 3 days with NO help. Sure wished I'd had a bigger system! But on the POSITIVE side, it gets you that much more familiar and consistent with your system!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X