Malt Backbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malt Backbone

I have recently started using Weyerman Caramunich instead of Durst and have noticed a much more malty backbone in my beer. Does any one care to explain this pheonoman to me?
    www.Lervig.no

Hi,

I have also found in the past that Weyermann specialty malts give a much maltier beer than others. I did an IPA with 30% Joe White (Australia) Dark Munich (30 EBC) and then did the same recipe using Weyermann. I found that beer brewed with the Weyermann was out of balance (too malty!) compared with the other IPA (even though the colour was the same).

I can only assume that their malting method, especially for their cara malts, produces many more melanoidins during kilining. They would achieve this by going to a higher modification during germination which forms more sugars + amino acids (the building blocks for melanoidins).

Basically, I have found that the Weyermann malts are great for malt character, but just be a bit careful. I have gone back to using my normal domestic Australian malts as they give the required colour, but the malt profile is a bit easier to control.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Hop Head, Same deal with me, my IPA is way to malty recently and it's annoying me. I tried every thing adding more (much) bittering hops, no real effect, I tried mashing it at a lower temp No change. I can only assume its the malt. Plus the taste of my last IPA is like a cross between a IPA and Dopple Bock.

So today I will make it with a little bit of Dark crystal (UK) and leave out the Weyermans
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

Working...
      X