Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation of soda (root beer)

Hi,

We're starting to make root beer in house (just syrup and water, no biggie). Wondering what the normal CO2 volumes are in root beer and if there's any best practices for carbonating quickly, safely, and to the right level.

Hiya' Woolsocks,
    I've been making sodas (including root beer) for a few years now. I've found that a CO2 volume of at least 3.0 produces a very desirable foamy head in root beer and appropriate "zing" in other sodas. Anything below that leaves the soda tasting weak. I carbonate in tank, using a carb stone, chill the tank to at least 33F (careful you don't freeze it, no alcohol to act as a buffer), and keep the head pressure of the tank around 15psi. Works great!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Soda's

I believe that carbonated - mass produced beverages are at about 4 volumes of gas. So the last entry of about 3 sounds right for a craft beverages - appropriate but not too much. also note that Zahm testers are no good for these beverages as that pressure produced from 3-4 volumes is too much for the gauge. I have also seen some what beers pushing to 3.6 volumes - a bit too high!

Comment

We carbonate our sodas to a level pretty much off the brewer's charts... 30 psi at around 32 degrees F. We also carbonate through a stone at the bottom of the tank (takes about a day to fully settle, and we have chill pills in our tanks for refrigeration).

We make mainly fruit-based sodas, and we strive for very high level of carbonation .... we like it fizzy! For some reason it doesn't seem rootbeer needs to be this well carbonated though.

Comment

OK, I'll bite: what is a "chill pill"?

Comment

Originally posted by Woolsocks
            OK, I'll bite: what is a "chill pill"?
            Dry ice pellets?
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Sorry for the layman's term..... a "chill pill" is a stainless coil inside the conditioning tank that is connected to our glycol chiller.

Comment

Working...
              X