PDA

View Full Version : Simcoe?

gitchegumee
03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Anyone have experience with this hop variety? I'm considering using it as an aroma/flavor hop in a red ale. Love to hear comments. Thanks in advance!

jbs
03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
We use Simcoe in our Pale Ale for bittering, flavor, and aroma. A very nice hop in my opinion. Spicy, pungent, and rather sharp.

nwcw2001
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
LOVE THIS HOP!

I had a IPA with simcoe only and I was blown away by the aroma and taste. It imparted a great citrus note. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to use it as a flavoring hop in a wit I just brewed.

John

gitchegumee
03-16-2007, 01:38 AM
The Hopunion description lists it as "very unique, pine-like aroma". I'd like to couple it with a Chinook to get a blast of pine along with the citrus. Guess the best way to know is to try it! Thanks for the notes!

grassrootsvt
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
i don't know about where you are, but just about all of the simcoe that makes it this way [east coast] is contracted in advance and presold. maybe it's easier to track some down that i thought. however, simcoe is in extremely high demand and the acreage for the hop is not in line with the demand...

simon
09-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Glad I don't live on the east coast.

Simcoe hops are available in Australia. I have just brewed a ESB with them, and they are amazing. Very much like passionfruit in both flavour and aroma.

gitchegumee
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I've been using the Simcoes now for a few months and can report excellent results in my red ale. Just what I was looking for in a flavor hop.