BOD's and Septic System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOD's and Septic System

Does anyone out there know if it's possible to install a brewing system (7bbl) that must be connected to a septic system?

If so must there be a wast-water treatment tank?

If I remove the spent grain and the yeast water I assume it is possible?

Thanks
    ctbrewpub

With a 7 bbl system, you leave yourself within the realm of possibility but I would think it is dependent upon the chemical nature of the load your putting in the system.

Septic systems typically deal with a fairly consistent organic load and, when working well, the bacterial action thrives on that consistency.

Variable pH feeds and bacterial killing sanitizers would not be recommended. Can you use a 3 tank CIP system where you top up strength as needed and send CIP rinse water to a neutralizing waste tank? Can you dispose of this liquid elsewhere?

If you can screen your liquid waste stream (parabolic screen) you would reduce the BOD load but this is a bit advanced for a small system.

If you produce 1000 bbl anually, can your septic system deal with 5000 bbl of liquid waste plus all other inputs?

I have put a plastic holding tank on a trailer before and pushed all brewhouse waste (inc. yeast into it) but we had a farmer nearby to pick it up on demand. I hope this helps and let us know what happens.

-Rob Creighton-

Comment

Rob,

Thanks for the input - you confirmed a lot of research we gathered over the past six months.

I'll update this forum after installation and first brew.

Thanks again.
      ctbrewpub

Comment

Working...
      X