Glycol Addition Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Addition Chart

I just got this from my chem people and thought others may find it useful. You can check your glycol % with a hydrometer! Remember less glycol is better for heat transfer so put in just enough to cover your freeze point.
    Attached Files
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Thanks Ted
    That is a helpful chart.
    Kai Adams
    Sebago Brewing Company
    www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

Thanks for that, I had been toying around with a refractometer not designed for glycol but this will work until then. Thanks
      Jim Brown, Owner
      Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
      3440 Win Kae Place
      Bay City, MI 48706
      989-233-2221

Comment

am i missing something here?

I am really confused... On the chart Ted put up (and from what a ProChiller tech guy told me), a 35% v/v glycol mixture is supposed to be 1.037 SG or so. But if you look at the guide ProChiller put up in the Refrigeration section (http://www.probrewer.com/resources/r...ion/glycol.php) that same mixture is 27 Brix which is approximately 1.115 SG.

I feel stupid for bringing this up, because I must be missing something. Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Thanks for your help
        Last edited by rafters_brewer; 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rafters_brewer
          But if you look at the guide ProChiller put up in the Refrigeration section (http://www.probrewer.com/resources/r...ion/glycol.php) that same mixture is 27 Brix which is approximately 1.115 SG.
          The brix readings that you are referring to from our pocket chart was provided by a propylene glycol manufacturer. You can find a similar chart on Dow’s website (link below) that provides essentially the same brix scale:

http://www.dow.com/heattrans/tech/da...DOWFROST-47857 (select the Dowfrost technical data sheet)

I wish I could provide more to help resolve any questions. I will however extend my offer to test anyone’s glycol solution at no charge if they would like to send a small sample to us. (I will use my good old Refractometer that provides the freeze point in degrees F!)

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

Glycol/Hydrometer Table

I posted this on my blog spot last July.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by jimvgjr
              The brix readings that you are referring to from our pocket chart was provided by a propylene glycol manufacturer. ... send a small sample to us. (I will use my good old Refractometer that provides the freeze point in degrees F!) Jim
              Jim- that still doesn’t tell the volume of water or glycol to add!!

If you look at The chart I put up (from Enerco Chemicals btw) the refractive index is much different number than the gravity number. Pro's chart says it is for reading using a refractomerter and not a hydrometer. However I cant figure a logical correlation between a Brix of 25.3 and "refractive index" of 1.3721? (I am using lines for 1/3 glycol on all three charts) I suggest you ignore these and use a hydrometer!

If reading with a spindle I would believe your tech and the enerco chart. David Prost's chart also confirms a 1/3 mixture of glycol = 1.034 sg, as does my empirical evidence of re-filling my line chiller reservoir- a known volume.
              Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
              tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
              "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs
                Jim- that still doesn’t tell the volume of water or glycol to add!!
                I agree and was only trying to clarify the source for the 27 brix @ 35 percent. Do you think because glycol does not contain sugars, but effects the refractive index in a similar way, could be a source of this discrepancy ?

Jim

Comment

Please note the % glycol in your drum of "glycol." It is usually not 100% and varies between mfrs.

Comment

Working...
                  X