Nitric Acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitric Acid

Was wondering if anyone knows of a chemical supply house who deals with nitric acid in the Pittsburgh area? I need to season three new tanks and I am having a hard time finding a supplier who does not deal in bulk. I only need around a gallon and do not feel like paying for a 50 gallon drum.

Double edged sword here.

Pittsburgh area - Fisher scientific. But you are getting into touchy territory here. Since the Bioterrorism act (and OSHA safety issues too) you need to be a fully "recognized" lab-type facility to be able to get chemicals today. Start with Fisher though or Spectrum Chemicals. There are other lab-supply outfits that maybe other forum users deal with on this.

Also beware that the hazardous materials handling charges can be more that the cost of the needed chemicals. There are sometimes big surprises when you get the bill - though with first orders you will likely have to pay up front anyway until you get established. Some companies also have a several hundred dollar minimum order charge on each occasion. Get the facts before placing the order!

Comment

pure nitric is very dangerous stuff...and there are better chemicals (or built chemical products) for passivating your tanks. talk to your chemical supplier, they will be able to help.
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

I am unsure about the mining industry in your area, but finding a prospecting/mining store could help you. Nitric is commonly used in making aqua regia.

Nitric Acid causes irreversible oxidation of your lung tissue if inhaled, so be careful and use a respirator and work outdoors or under a fume hood.
        fungus rules the earth

Comment

Chemical source

We use Acid cleaner #5 from Five Star Chemicals in Denver. It is a nitric/sulfuric blend and has always done an excellent job for passivating. They also package it in 1 gal and 5 gal containers. To ship it UPS you would have to pay the haz mat fee plus shipping but that's a small price to pay when the alternative is not passivating your tanks.

Comment

Working...
          X