Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Sparge Question

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this list. I really enjoy the posts and have learned quit a bit in a short time.

I'm working with some marketing/finance guys that want my help with some pilot batches.

When I sparge, I usually just do a set volume of water and end the sparge when the water is finished. Everything has worked pretty well in the past, but I want to start taking some readings and measurements from now on.

Generally speaking, I should end the sparge when the pH gets to___________(fill in the blank

and/ or

I get a refracometer reading of___________?

before I start leaching tannins and other nasties and things get funky.

Any insights or rules of thumb would be a great.

Thanks,

ECB

How long you sparge has to do with what you are trying to create. If you want something to have a high original gravity you sparge till you get close to hitting that level, say 16.5 degrees plato. If you want something to have lower original gravity, sparge longer and get that volume up. Obviously the type and amount of grain used controls these variable as well. Its not an exact science. Sometimes you need more sparge water than others to get where you need to be. ALWAYS use a measuring device!! I know people that don't and that is just dumb. How do you know that you are recreating the same recipe if you can't tell what you gravity readings are? Starting and stopping your sparge will be much easier for you to figure out after you set these recipe guidelines that you want to hit(Original gravity).

Comment

Ph is more important than gravity in avoiding tannins. Adjust ph if cant get your volume without the final runnings ph staying under 6. Food grade phosphoric is a common choice, acidulated malt a more organic one. Salt additions come inbetween the two choices. Each recipie will be different.
      Btw- in my stout I actually adjust to alkalinity with CaCo3 because of all the acidic dark malts!
      Last edited by Ted Briggs; 04-02-2007, 08:26 AM.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Thank You for the replies!

Comment

Did I read you right?

"Adjust ph if you cant get your volume without a final runnings ph over 6"? I aim for my runoff pH at 5.35 and wouldn't think of trying to go over 6. I was taught that we want our final runoff low to avoid tannin extraction. Hence some brewers use acid in the sparge as you mentioned. Could you let me know what the reasoning is behind a pH of over 6?
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
            "Could you let me know what the reasoning is behind a pH of over 6?
            Sorry- I could have been clearer. I ment 6 as an MAX value on final runnings, I look for 5.3 (+/- .1) for the mash rest. Ph will rise during runoff.
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
            X