CO2 and pH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 and pH

Hi. Does anyone have any information about how dissolved CO2 in beer lowers the pH? Lets say I've got a 7bbl serving tank @ 38 F and 12 lbs pressure. How much lower would the pH be than say ao open firkin in the same room? Why do I care? I'm currently putting together a program for beer with food and I want to discuss what effect acid has on bitternes perseption. My real ale is so much softer that the keg beer although they are from the same batch. (firkin is dry hopped) There is an oxidative effect I know, but there must be an icrease in carbonic acid in the draft or am I full of shi_?

I don't think you will find much difference in pH. I have never seen any results on this, but because carbonica acid is a weak acid, and beer has so much buffering capacity, it will not nmae an appreciable difference. The results from cask beer are the same as keg and small pack beer at the berweries I have worked at. Certainly there are not different pH specifications for each version of the ame beer.

CO2 does affect the mouthfeel - that is what you are detecting.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Co2

Thanks. I did not consider the buffer aspect. This is for an arcticle I'm doing about beer with food and I wanted to describe how pH and CO2 content effect the combination of acid/CO2 with food. Thanks for the input.

ALl good things JS

Comment

Working...
      X