Business Plan Mentor Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Plan Mentor Needed

I've been an occassional lurker for a while and am now asking upon this forum for some help. I am an MBA student with a focus in entrepreneurship and have my B.S. in biochemistry. I have also been a very avid brewer for 6 or 7 years and an experimental chef. My goal is to become more experienced in the industry and to open a brewpub of my own in a geographic area without much for craft brew.

A course I am taking currently focuses on business plan developement. Over the next 9 weeks, I will be developing a business plan for 3 Dogs Barking Microbrewery and Pizzeria. I have written a business plan before, but in a team environment that lacked a shared vision. This time around, I am required to have a mentor for the project. This is someone who can give useful advice/criticism and can dedicate approximately 1 hour per week for the next 9 weeks (or however it takes one to read and criticize). Duties include reading my business plan as it developes (in sections, not all at once) and providing input. That's it. I'd prefer to have a mentor who considers themself an entrepreneur and has had experience in business startup. I really don't have much to give in return besides gratitude, beer, and pizza.

I know this can be asking a lot from someone who is probably busier than they would like to be, but am hoping someone in the industry can offer help. If you think you can open your heart and mind to a project like this, please let me know or PM me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Prost!

,Jesse
    fungus rules the earth

Service Corps of Retired Executives

Hey Jesse,

Call your local SCORE office. Their website (www.score.org) has a list of local offices. What you need is what they offer. Hope this helps.

Steffan

Comment

Thanks, but I was looking for more specific help. However, I do thank you for the thought. I am familiar with score, as we have a local branch (Inland Empire, CA). They do provide free services, but are very general. There is also some general entrepreneurial advice I can tap into elsewhere, but I really want to find someone willing to help who has experienced microbrewery or brewpub startup. I figured I'd try this site since many smaller brewers frequent it to find industry specific advice.

I have spoken to three breweries so far. The first two are very big and fast growing, but amazingly responded quickly and were helpful. Having the founder of one of the largest craft brewers in the nation get back to me within an hour really strengthened my opinion of them. However, most rapidly growing craft brewers poised to potentially become regional don't have much time. The other one was enthusiatic and local, but after dealing with them face to face I've realized they are not reliable.

Keep it greasy,

Jesse
      fungus rules the earth

Comment

Consultant!

It sounds like you're looking for an industry consultant. They don't generally work for free but you can probably find one who will review your plan for around $500. You'll likely find the consultant useful as you move beyond the plan too. They often work on an bill for time or retainer basis.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Reviewing business plans

Hi. I've run brewpubs in SoCal, and would be interested in helping you out. I sent you a Private Message with more info.

Cheers,
          --Jake Tringali

Comment

I appreciate all the responses this young man is getting, but SCORE and a industry consultant don't really fit his bill. He is looking for someone to have a personal relationship with that will tell him the nitty gritty. He needs a mentor/adviser not a fee collecting consultant.

Unfortunately, that is not me because I have all the same questions he would have!

John

Comment

NWCW2001 hit the nail on the head. It looks like Mr. Tringali is going to be kind enough to help me out, as I was looking for a mentor as opposed to a consultant.

Thanks.
              fungus rules the earth

Comment

Working...
              X