Microbrewry Startup from Dairy Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microbrewry Startup from Dairy Equipment

Hi all, I've been searching the forums and reading up on startups and what not but I finally NEED to make my first post.
    I've got a lead on some used dairy equipment that has already been used for brewing. I'm not quite ready to start the microbrewery yet as there are still lots of bridges to cross before that point, but the price is right and I think it's a good deal. It's about a 25bbl system. Some questions regarding the system:

1: There is one primary and one secondary fermenter and both are horizontal. I read the post about ester production (in horizontal tanks) but what other drawbacks are there? Does anybody use a secondary (clearing tank?)?

2: The kettle is steam jacketed with 4 valves and different batch heights. Are these dairy kettles sufficient for boiling?

3: Steam Generator: I've never used one and I'm not sure how it works. What are the pros and cons?

4: Mash Tun Geometry is pretty horizontal. If the grainbed is deep enough, what other potential problems might I run into?

5: Glycol Chiller only used water. Would this be bad for the chiller?
    Last edited by Craig5_12; 04-16-2007, 03:31 PM.

1. Geometery, whatever, it is possible to make any fermenter work. Horizontals are great for fermentation. but a bit more effort to clean.
    2. One can't tell. It would depend on surface area of heating surface and the temp(/pressure) of the steam. Ask a previous brewer how vigorous the boil was.
    4. Ideal is a shallower mash/lauter bed.
    5. Water and not glycol plus water? Could destroy the compressor if it froze up, could have been incredibly gentle if it never got that cold.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Moonlight.
      1/5. I suppose if I can cool both fermenters down (assuming the chiller is working efficiently) I won't have to transfer to a secondary. I've had very good results with this in the homebrewing world but I'm not sure if it's standard practice with you pros.

4. This is good news, thanks.

Comment

"I won't have to transfer to a secondary. I've had very good results with this in the homebrewing world but I'm not sure if it's standard practice with you pros."

Wise to be concerned...
        In the for-profit world, this is less desirable. When it is done, most commonly it is with conical-bottomed tanks, so even though the beer stays behind, the yeast is removed. Horizontal tanks won't do this unless you are really creative. The downside will be less clear beer, potential for yeasty-off flavors, and thirdly, your fermenters will be tied up for too long. I would be a (bigger) fool to tell you it can't be done, but you may not be happy with the results.

Comment

Working...
        X