carbonation testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbonation testing

I'm looking for a little feedback on what everyone is using to check carbonation levels in brights. We used to use a Zahm Volumeter but due to variability from person to person we switched to a Gehaltemeter, analogical type GMT. It is pretty good but I was wondering if anyone had something else they absolutely loved (or hated)?

Not to sound like a smartass, but my favorite has always been the pint glass... though I use a Zahm from time to time as well.

Cheers,
    Scott

Comment

Haffmans

I believe Haffmans is a fine company. I believe you can find them through Norit equipment (norit.com)

Good Luck!

-Todd
      Last edited by Todd; 04-20-2007, 12:17 PM. Reason: addition of email address
      Todd Malloy
      Director of Brewing
      Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
      Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

Scott,
        I'm with you -- the pint glass is the ultimate test for me; mostly because I can't afford a Z & N right now :P

Rob
        "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

well for some of you a pint glass would be ok because you can change the CO2 level in the serving tank, but for bottling /kegging I strongly reccomend using good CO2 meter, I use a Haffmans which is expensive but very easy to use and reliable. You cant change the CO2 content once its in the bottle and you cant just pour a pint from a BBT to see if its carbonated correctly and the same grm/lt every time.
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Gehaltameter I am using is handled through Haffmans/Norit and they've been fine to work with for replacement parts. I am curious about a more recent model like the digital stuff. Are you guys using them and if so how are they holding up?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dogfishqc
              Thanks for the feedback guys. The Gehaltameter I am using is handled through Haffmans/Norit and they've been fine to work with for replacement parts. I am curious about a more recent model like the digital stuff. Are you guys using them and if so how are they holding up?
              Thanks
              I use a digital Haffmans its pretty nice. I have 2 of them one shows the temp then tells me in grms/lt co2 content the other is on the fritz because I think too much yeast is settled in the bottom (we do some unclear beers too) I sent it to Haffmans in the Neatherlands but they told me it would be pretty expensive to fix. I still have the other though.

I have used the non digital, its simular to a zahm and nagel, using a chart to see the co2 content (with out the shaking), but non the less an important tool when you are to package the beer.
              www.Lervig.no

Comment

Haffmans vs Zahm & Nagle

Interesting following this thread. You say the Haffmans is expensive. Mind saying how expensive? All I see on the Norit site are the digital ones. One would assume they would be extremely easy to use, but expensive. I've only used the Zahm & Nagle, but would consider an alternative. By the way, does anyone know where to get a Zahm & Nagle these days?

Comment

Zahm & Nagel
                  P.O. Box 400 210 Vermont Street
                  Holland NY 14080 USA
                  Telephone (716) 537-2110
                  FAX (716) 537-2106

I still use them for parts to my air testers and I believe they still sell the Volume Meters.

Comment

Originally posted by krausbrew
                    Interesting following this thread. You say the Haffmans is expensive. Mind saying how expensive?
                    around 5500€ expensive. but yes they are too easy to use. just flush the beer in, slow down the fill speed till there isnt any foam in the sample and close the lever, wait 1 minute and it tells you how many grams per liter are in solution.
                    www.Lervig.no

Comment

We use Haffmans intelligent co2 gehaltameters, which work fine. But we have been having slight inaccuracy problems compared to when we were using haffmans digital type. I also find tipping the units upside down while sampling to remove any bubbles, helps accuracy a bit.
                      Last edited by ausbrewer1; 04-29-2007, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Gehaltemeter Instruments

I like the discussion going on with CO2 testing and trying to get the repeatibility and consistency in measuring this critcial point in the process.

My name is Roy Johnson and I am the QC Sales Manager for Haffmans North America. I am responsible for all sales and service of Haffmans equipment which includes all 4 of the gehaltemeters now being supplied to the brewing industry.

These models include:

1 GMT(analog version)
                        2 DGM(digital gehaltemeter)
                        3 i-DGM(intellegent gehaltemeter which allows you to download information)
                        4 c-DGM(combined gehaltemeter which allows you to measure CO2 and O2 through Optical sensing technology)

If you have any specific questions or I can be of any further help please e-mail me at rjohnson@haffmansna.com

Roy

Comment

Alternative to Zahm or Haffmans

This is an interesting topic. My name is Chris Nimptsch and just to give you more food for thought, our company, Profamo Inc, represents a German company called Steinfurth that manufactures CO2 measurement equipment that compete with both Zahm and Haffmans. This equipment also works on the basis of Henry's Law. Please contact me if you would like some more details @ 941-379-8155 or chris@profamo.com

Comment

Working...
                          X