Spent Grain Silos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent Grain Silos

Anybody out there have any leads on manufacturer's of spent grain silos? What are they typically constructed of? I was told a galvanized silo would only last a year...

Spent Grain Silo

Our Spent Grain Silo was installed in 1994 by Clean Air Management Co. (CAMCO) of Overland Park, KS. We had an entire pneumatic spent grain system installed at that time that included blower, tubing, rotary airlock, silo etc. The silo is an 8 foot diameter cylindroconical hopper made of 12 gauge carbon steel. In thirteen years we once had to replace the top half of the cylinder due to it being almost completely corroded above the typical fill level of spent grain. We have also had occasional pin hole leaks in the welds below grain level. Overall, considering the harse environment, the silo has held up relatively well. The highest maintenance item in the system has been the rotary air lock. I know CAMCO is still in business and they have good customer service. The old number I have is 913 831 0740.
    Steve Trese
    Brewing Mgr.
    Boulder Beer

Comment

Originally posted by Stevet
      Our Spent Grain Silo was installed in 1994 by Clean Air Management Co. (CAMCO) of Overland Park, KS. We had an entire pneumatic spent grain system installed at that time that included blower, tubing, rotary airlock, silo etc. The silo is an 8 foot diameter cylindroconical hopper made of 12 gauge carbon steel. In thirteen years we once had to replace the top half of the cylinder due to it being almost completely corroded above the typical fill level of spent grain. We have also had occasional pin hole leaks in the welds below grain level. Overall, considering the harse environment, the silo has held up relatively well. The highest maintenance item in the system has been the rotary air lock. I know CAMCO is still in business and they have good customer service. The old number I have is 913 831 0740.
      Steve Trese
      Brewing Mgr.
      Boulder Beer
      Do you remember the cost?
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Maybe epoxy paint inside would buy you some time.

Comment

David:
          The cost for just the silo is a little hard to break out because it came with the package. The entire system was about $28,000 in 1994. The cost included a 25 horse blower, all electric controls and (I'm not sure why) a nice bag house dust collector. Having worked with this equipment over the years, I would guess the silo was a small portion of the cost. I would imagine most farm supply companies could line you up a good steel silo if the rest of your system is in place. We went with the full system at a time of fast growth when buckets just didn't cut it anymore.
          As far as epoxy paint? Could help but I would want to run it by the feed company first.
          Steve T.

Comment

Working...
          X