Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankey ring help

Hey Guys
    So I bought a ton of used kegs and half of them had regular lock rings and the other half had some thing else that I have never worked with. I've tried a number of things and no luck. I have a feeling that if I use my compression tool that I might be able to pry them out, however these kegs are converted hs and I would have to grind down my tool so it would fit. So before I do that I just wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions. It is a solid ring with 3 notches on the interior, if anybody can help that would be great. Thanks guys.
    Cheers
    -Sean

Sean,

While I was in Europe for 5 years ('96-'01), I came across a number of sankey kegs without regular lock rings I was used to.

After much screwing around, I found out that they were threaded spears. They actually just screwed out in a counter clockwise fashion (depressurize first). They had three tabs just below the upper edge of the fitting. I later discovered that there is a tool available that is basically a custom wrench for removing these spears that 'slots' into tabs to allow easy unscrewing.

Yours may be similar. Maybe not.

For what its worth....

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I think these may be screw-out also. We had a tool for them at anouther brewery I worked at. Try calling Micromatic, they might sell it.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

sabco sells the threaded spear tool, expensive bugger though.

Comment

Thank you very much for the the help but, they are lock in not threaded. I have a bunch of threaded ones and I thought that they may be similar but no such luck. Thanks for the suggestions though.
          -Sean

Comment

Could you post a close up photo of the valve??

Comment

here is a pics guys thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

threaded sankey keg

What you have is a threaded sankey keg. Simply put a penny on the ball and attach a tap and clamp down and unscrew counter clock wise. Without the penny you can unscrew the head of the stem but the stem will be locked in. The penny releases a clamp on the inside and allows the stem to be removed. Hope this helps.
                Beerbros

Comment

Sure looks like a threaded one. In a pinch I've used a pair of non-slip-joint pliers with a jaw against each tab, and for ease, a larger crescent wrench holds the jaw of the pliers for leverage. You pretty much need to be sitting on the keg to keep it from turning. Channel locks work OK if it isn't in too tightly.

Comment

Working...
                  X