RO Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RO Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer of a reverse osmosis system? What GPD do you recommend?
    COAST Brewing Company

I can't remember the make but as far as output goes, we set up a two tank system. The first was a holding tank that would fill at a low rate during non-peak energy times. It was sized at 3x the needs of the brew. This would go through the heat exchanger to cool the wort and become the hot liquor for the next brew. If there were a lot of brews to accomplish, you could fill both tanks on the weekend so you always had some back up. RO setups are pretty expensive to buy, run and maintain especially when you compare a the price of higher output (which really isn't that high) verses long slow operation with storage. Other issues are to find out if you water comes from a single source or multiple sources (well vs surface). The place I set the RO up at had both which were switched at different times of the day, so typically we would try to run when it was using surface. Depending on you location and local utility, you may or may not have peak and non peak rates. Electicity will be your biggest cost so try to use it in non-peak hours but not when you are running large equipment such as chillers. Hope this helps. I loved having the RO option but it is something you have to really manage.

Comment

Our RO system was installed by a man from Brita, at first it filtered about 400 liters per hour, we have since added an extra membrane to get it up to 800lts per hour, and again we installed a high pressure pump (6 bar) and now its up to just over 1000 lts per hour.

Our brewsize is 25 hl, we brew on average 2 times a day. We have 8000lts of filtered water storage. so we can go up to 4-5 brews in a day.

Sizing the RO depends on how often you brew (demand on the water) how big your brewery is, and how much tank you can fill.

All in all Im pretty happy with it. There havve been days when I wished it would run faster...
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

Michael Urbans at RES-KEM, just outside of Philly PA is very knowledgable about RO systems as well as all types of water filtration for Breweries and beverage companies.

I bought a system including a water softener which is set up prior to the RO filter which can filter 1800 gpd and is for a 15 BBL system. I have a 1200 gal Cold Liquor Tank.

1-800-323-1983

Comment

Working...
        X