High pitched CIP pump whine/whistle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched CIP pump whine/whistle

I've got a 1.5hp@3450RPM Baldor pump which I use for my CIP. Aside from some worn out bearings, it works just fine. However, occasionally (especially today) during a cleaning cycle the pump will start whining/whistling a high pitched ear-piercing tone (which I don't think the customers enjoy). Sometimes the noise stops on its own and sometimes I fix it by turning the pump off and adjusting hoses, releasing tank pressure, kicking it...

I thought it was due to pressure in the tank or constricted fluid dynamics in the pump housing, but nothing I do today seems to help. It happens most often when I'm CIPing my serving tanks (7 barrel tanks in a cold room).

Anyone experience this and have a solution?

Thanks

Sounds like a bad bearing - cleaning tanks i.e. full bore flow probably puts more load on the bearing. Get a new motor, not a big deal to change out. It's better to do it before it fails completely during the middle of something critical.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I agree. Sounds like bearings. Just change the bearings. Cheap and easy. You don't want this failing catastrophically when you have better things to do. Like knocking out a batch of beer! Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X