gas issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas issue

Ok, this is probably a simple fix, and an elementary problem for most of you, but I am still pretty simple about balancing a draft system.

I run my root beer through a Corny keg. I run 20 feet of line, pressure set at 11psi (strait CO2, no pumps, no Nitrogen). It pours like a gem for awhile, then gradully gets foamier as the keg empties. Probably has something to do with the head space, I can't figure this out. What's going on here? Need a science lesson.

Co2

Whats the temp?

Comment

What size is the line?
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Howdy,
        You probably need to change some hose to a smaller I.D. Maybe set up a choker a few feet before the faucet. I suggest you visit www.micromatic.com and check out their "beer questions" and "online Dispense Institute". Bunch of good info there.

Luck to ya'
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Get back to us with what size beer line you are using and the temperature of the rootbeer. Are the lines cooled the entire way? All of these can have a major impact on foaming issues.

Ed

Blue Line Draft Systems
          Blue Line Draft Systems, LLC
          www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

absorption

how long is the keg being served? for example, if you are using straight CO2 and the keg is sitting 1/4 full for a few days, the root beer will undoubtedly absorb a portion of CO2 from the significant head pressure...thus changing the carbonation level of your soda...
            i've seen this happen at bars and brewpubs when kegs sit for a spell...

Comment

EUREKA! I think that could be it, Grassroots. It shares an air-cooled tube with it's neighboring taps that seem to pour fine out of sankeys, and has hose of the same diameter. The only difference is, we only sell 2 or 3, if that, root beers per day during the week, and the neighboring beers flows like crazy all the time.
              So, how do I remedy this problem?

Comment

It is still all about properly balancing the line, you did not provide enough info to respond - Does not matter if you have not sold any for a month, it should not be absorbed if proper equilibrium is maintained

11psi seems awful low for soda, isn't most soda about 3 vol/vol co2?
                How did you originally carbonate?

Attempting to dispense less than equilibrium pressure is probably the greatest cause of foaming and spitting
                Last edited by bbrodka; 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM.

Comment

If I was only selling 2-3 root beers a day...

Originally posted by davidmeyers
                  EUREKA! I think that could be it, Grassroots. It shares an air-cooled tube with it's neighboring taps that seem to pour fine out of sankeys, and has hose of the same diameter. The only difference is, we only sell 2 or 3, if that, root beers per day during the week, and the neighboring beers flows like crazy all the time.
                  So, how do I remedy this problem?
                  Not to make light of your situation.

Kind of off the real topic: If I was only selling 2-3 root beers a day I'd drop the soda and replace with a new beer.
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Turn up the pressure.

Comment

Without the serving temp and line size, it's hard to give a good answer, but I would turn up the pressure as well.
                      Scott Isham
                      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Pushing carbonated liquid with too low of pressure can cause the CO2 to back out of the solution and cause foaming. Sodas are typically carbonated at a higher level than typical beers so you could be having a problem with that. If turning the pressure up causes the flow rate to jump too high than you would need to put a 3/16" choker on the end of that to reach the desired rate.
                        Blue Line Draft Systems, LLC
                        www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Working...
                        X