Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cask Ales

Hi,

We're looking to expand our selection and production of cask ales. Up until now, I've been "winging it" as far as how to produce them, finings, when to vent gas, etc. but I'd like to be more precise about it.

I need a resource -- article, book, paper -- about this. Who has a good one?

Check out Cellarmanship by Patrick O'Neill, it's CAMRA's official book on handling cask ale.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Beat me to it!

The book is avaialable at amazon.com

Comment

Just ordered it

Comment

Pm me, if you have any Q's.
          Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

Ray Daniels put out a book called "The Perfect Pint", published by the Craft Beer Institute. It's good and to the point about cask beers.
            Scott Isham
            Harper's Brewpub

Comment

I produced quality cask beers at and upstate NY brewery for 6 years. As soon as I get a hold of some casks I will continue at my present brewery. This is my procedure. If you are capping off your beers in a uni, fill the cask then. Mix a slurry of isenglass and add this directly to the cask as you are filling. Dry hopping in the cask works well to. Add them before you begin to fill. Seal them up and bring them to a temp of 55 degrees. or there abouts. Let a 5-7% alocohol beer condition for at least two weeks to carbonate. I would vent at least 24 hours before I planned on serving. You must pay attention to the cask during the venting period. If it slows, put a hard spile in untill you are ready to serve. You dont want to vent too long, because you may vent all the co2 out, resulting in a flat cask. Since casks vary, it takes some experience and practice to get it just right. Also I would recommend casking with a yeast strain that is highly floccculant. I have aged strong beers, over 9 % for 2-3 years and they are delecious. Good luck!!!
              Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
              Syracuse, NY

Comment

Working...
              X