Bung Fermenter During Active Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bung Fermenter During Active Fermentation

Hey everyone, I've been brewing a few New England IPA's and while some have come out great the past few have had a noticeable decline in aroma. I've been dry hopping earlier into fermentation (day 2-4) and I'm wondering if dry hopping earlier while fermentation is very active has been the culprit due to C02 blowing off all of the aroma.

Does anyone bung their fermenters so early into fermentation?

We bung our fermenters once fermentation is complete but never while active. Curious if anyone has any experience with this technique.

I generally use around 3.75 lbs per barrel for my New England IPA's, about 1.25 lbs per barrel at whirlpool and the rest split into 2 dry hops, the first being during active fermentation using 1 lb per barrel and the second dry hop once fermentation is complete at 1.5 lbs per barrel. I work on a 15 bbl system with 15 bbl fermenters.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Originally posted by KindBrewing View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been brewing a few New England IPA's and while some have come out great the past few have had a noticeable decline in aroma. I've been dry hopping earlier into fermentation (day 2-4) and I'm wondering if dry hopping earlier while fermentation is very active has been the culprit due to C02 blowing off all of the aroma.

Does anyone bung their fermenters so early into fermentation?

We bung our fermenters once fermentation is complete but never while active. Curious if anyone has any experience with this technique.

I generally use around 3.75 lbs per barrel for my New England IPA's, about 1.25 lbs per barrel at whirlpool and the rest split into 2 dry hops, the first being during active fermentation using 1 lb per barrel and the second dry hop once fermentation is complete at 1.5 lbs per barrel. I work on a 15 bbl system with 15 bbl fermenters.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
    No experience with bunging, but I have gotten good results from removing the yeast before the 2nd dry hop. Id also suggest using more like .5 lb per barrel mid ferm and the remaining 2 lbs per bbl in the second dry hop.

Comment

Hi,

If you still have interest in this technique, where I work we do bung during fermentation.
      We like our beers with a pretty low carbonation, something like 4.4-4.6 gr/l (2.2-2.3 vol) so we bung at 1 bar (15 psi) at the middle-end of the fermentation. Usually, this is sufficient or almost to get our proper carbonation, and only slight corrections are needed in the BBT. By preference goes for bunging 2.5°P (.010) before the end of fermentation, but sometimes, we bung way earlier, on Friday for example, cause there's no one at the brewery during the weekend. Then we can sometimes bung up to 5-6°P before the end, and thus without noticing any fermentation or byproducts issues.
      Other consideration, I started dry hopping any beer that has to be dry hopped 2.5°P before the end of the fermentation, so just before bunging. Aroma extraction is better than what I experienced before on well known recipes.

Hope it'll help!

Comment

Working...
      X