want to import malt to india

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to import malt to india

was wondering if anybody had any brilliant ideas about this?
    there is some brewing-quality 6-row malt domestically available.
    we need to supplement this with other imported varieties
    from a nearby country such as Thailand, Singapore, Sri Lanka,
    Indonesia, New Zealand, Australia, etc...
    unfortunately there is 40% import duty, plus 16% education cess
    plus shipping, transportation, and lots of logistics, bribes and paperwork...
    which translates to almost 70% by the time it reaches our silo.
    No local maltster can do anything for us unless a min batch size is 10 tons, which is really out of our scope. Willing to have an exlusive tie up with a maltster for all of our micro/brewpub projects across india if they can
    provide us a solution that will make it cost efficient for us
    to make craft beer. the market will not be able to absorb a litre of beer for $10 USD, even if it is a great beer! Most suggestions have been to use adjuncts, which is reasonable, but we really need to make all-grain beer to carve out our own niche and educate people to taste quality and variety.
    ________
    Honda Stream
    Last edited by india_cmb; 03-05-2011, 12:39 AM.

Malt in India

Sounds like a test brew with 100% six row as your base malt and whatever specialties you plan to use is in order. If it is good six row you should still be able to make good craft beer with it. You will probably have to bribe your way into getting the specialties but of you use high color caramels and other high intensity malts that require low inclusions the 70% premium shouldn't drive your beer cost up too much.

Comment

I must point out that adjunct-made beers can, and often are, outstanding. You could also highlight local ingredients thereby making an additional marketing point. Great beer does NOT have to be all malt. Nor reinheitsgebot, nor organic, nor....... Just my two cents, but if you want to make all malt beer from the best malts in the world, then you are in the wrong country. BTW, there are other microbreweries in India. Perhaps you could contact them and form a group that could consprire to the same goals?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I heard that India has some of the most hostile laws against brewers...

I agree with Gitchegumee! Economically, if brewing is going to be more expensive than buying, you may as well just import someone else's great beer! After all we all are trying to find our own niche given the different environmental pressures. But really, try local ingredients!

Otherwise...
        Can try concentrated liquid malt extract, like Weyermann's SINAMAR...
        Also, have you thought about roasting your own barley/malt? a malt roaster is really no different from a commercial coffee drum roaster.
        Caramel flavor profile can also be produced by, well, actually caramelizing the wort with high heat in the kettle.
        you won't be making American style craft beers, but I am sure you can still make great beers!

cheers!

Comment

Actually, from what I understand, the barley quality, and thus the malt is not great. But since you have such high duties, you are restricted to either going the whole hog and malting your own, or trying to persuade one of the local bigger breweries to sell you on a few bags. It may cost more than buying it direct from the maltings, but it has to be cheaper than importing.

Don't be afraid of using rice or maize grits or flakes, but you may need to use enzymes to achieve a decent extract and minimise the risk of residual starch. Flakes will be easier than grits, as you don't require a cereal cooker.

And if you are bottling, don't be afraid to spend the extra on brown bottles to prevent light struck flavours.

Cheers
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X