Question about mechanical seal on a filter pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about mechanical seal on a filter pump

We have a 10m Della Toffola NF series DE filter circa 1994. The shaft seal on the pump has begun to leak. When I dismantled it to have a look I found that the seal is a type that I'm not familiar with. It is a shiny metallic material which is bonded on one side directly the the stainless backplate of the pump housing and the other side is bonded to a stainless ring. The moving surfaces of the seal are on the outside of the pump housing and are lubricated with a water sprayer when the pump is operating. Apparently it would cost over $1000 to replace the parts. My questions are: what is this type of seal called and could anyone recommend a company that could resurface our old parts so we wouldn't have to pay so much just to replace a seal?
    BTW - there is no ID plate on the pump

I don't know what this type of seal is called, but we had the seal for our 5 meter Velo resurfaced (lapped is their term) at a local company called Jemco seals. Jemco was bought out by Flowserve which, I believe, is a national company. The lapping usually cost about $40 -$50. We originally found these guys by looking in the Phone book. A search for Flowserve or even just pump seals may turn up someone in your area.
    Steve Trese
    Boulder Beer

Comment

This seal sounds quite out-of-the-ordinary. Seal lubrication/cooling is usually done from the inside of the pump to the outside, simply because that is the normal path of fluid migration--high pressure to low. An external sprayer isn't likely to lubricate or cool a mechanical seal at all--and wouldn't be sanitary if it did. Are you sure this isn't a packed pump (stuffing box filled with packing)? Wort/beer is not a difficult fluid to pump, nor is it a special case that requires exotic seals. A pump expert could recommend a more generic replacement that is likely to cost much less. John Crane or Chesterton seals are huge in America. Flowserve is also a major player in pumping and process control. Contact a dealer and offer him some beer for a cheaper solution. Good luck!
      Last edited by gitchegumee; 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Carbon ring

I think you are looking at a carbon composite ring. Our pumps have them, but they have a large o ring right behind it. I would try to replace everything else first, I believe the carbon rings are expensive.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Pump

Try these guys. Prospero (315)-719-0480. They deal with Della's and have been helpful to me in the past. They could at least identify your pump. My 2M has an EBARA pump. I think all the stuff is Italian. Good luck.
          Big Willey
          "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
          X