Brewing with raisins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing with raisins

Thinking about brewing a beer with whole raisins. I would first pasturize them and rehydrate them at the same time and add them in the fermenter at the end of primary (along with soaking water)

I wonder if sugars will be release that way.

Anyone tried something similar?

Zb

I would call Andy T. @ Dog Fish Head
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Raisins give great flavor! I chopped them up in a blender before adding and they contributed a bit to the gravity (sorry, no data). Most raisins are sulphited, so I wouldn't worry about pasteurizing. Would go well in a brown ale or dark Belgian. Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks!
        At what point do you add them?

Zb

Comment

You need to crush the raisins first.

I would recommend a quick blanch in boiling water, then crushing (blending/chopping etc). They are usually sulphited but...

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I would add finely chopped, sulphited raisins directly to the fermenter at knockout, or in a hopback, if you have one. If you add to the whirlpool, you risk clogging the heat exchanger. Good luck!
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Hi everyone,

Did a search for raisins, and thought I should revive an old thread. We are planning to age our Brown Ale in oak for a few months with raisins added into the barrel. We will run them through a food processor, and put them into a weighted bag. Does anyone have any suggested usage rate on the raisins? These are 53 gal. barrels, the beer itself is 7% ABV. I am not worried about unfermented sugars, I think any sugars left in the beer will a nice addition. Will the fruit absorb any significant portion of alcohol?

Thanks for any input!
              dangerously good ales.

Comment

I do a beer with figs, probably similar sugar/weight ratios. Nutrition info on store-bought figs says they are 50% sugar by weight, and gravity readings back that up. I halve them (whole is NO good, tried that once). I found with figs that leaving them in longer got me more complex flavors; 2-3 days I just got sugar & some fruit flavors, but longer and I got more out of them, sometimes vinous, definitely more interesting.

I don't think sulfite will do anything to spores that may be living on the skins, so I make sure to harvest yeast before I add the fruit. I don't mind some extras floating around the beer, and it's unavoidable I'm pretty sure, but there's no reason to re-pitch those extra friends back into the next batch.

Comment

Raisin old ale 7bbl.

Done this beer several times. Added 15lbs of raisins in a mesh bag to kettle 20 minutes before knockout. Pulled the bag and added to fV prior to knockout. Got a great vinous flavor and aroma.
                  David Wollner
                  Brewer/Owner
                  Willimantic Brewing Company
                  967 Main St.
                  Willimantic, CT.06226
                  860-423-6777
                  www.willibrew.com
                  david.wollner@willibrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by dwollner
                    Done this beer several times. Added 15lbs of raisins in a mesh bag to kettle 20 minutes before knockout. Pulled the bag and added to fV prior to knockout. Got a great vinous flavor and aroma.
                    Sounds yummy.

Pax.

Liam
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                    X