Marketing & Promotions ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing & Promotions ideas

I am starting up a production craft brewery and I was trying to get an idea of the success others have had in terms of intial marketing and promotions. What worked well for you all in this stage of your business? What didn't work so well? What did you find that really helped to draw awareness to what you were doing? What are some non-traditional and inexpensive ways to reach your comsumers and create excitement? I have a business degree and have studied quite a bit of marketing and related topics, but it is always nice to learn from someone who has "been there and done that"! I would appreciate any input here.

Thanks-
    Eric
    Last edited by eric@marshallbrewing.com; 06-05-2007, 12:23 PM.

A few ideas

I realize this question is a bit old, but here are a few ideas off the top of my head:
    • Press releases: Careful not to write a release that just announces your opening—it does nothing for an editor needing a story. Give them an actual story (local boy returns to the community, something you're doing differently from other breweries, etc). Also, research your targets carefully.
    • Private parties: Holding a series of pre-opening parties for various groups (press, local business owners, your local homebrew club, etc) can help generate buzz.
    • Community events: Try sponsoring events or participating in them. Get involved with your community and build a reputation as a business that actually looks to serve its community. Hold fundraisers, or raffles, or whatever to help local causes. Genuine participation is key.
    • Blogging: Not for everyone, but consider blogging about your experiences starting up a brewery. Could attract a great readership and build brand awareness.
    • Collect email addresses right out of the gate. If your website doesn't have a newsletter sign up form, you're missing out. The newsletter doesn't have to go out regularly, but COLLECT EMAIL ADDRESSES! It'll help you build a contact base and you'll be ahead of the marketing game when you're ready to expand.
    • Consider a very targeted direct mail campaign. Identify local bars and restaurants that might be interested in you and do an impressive mailing (nothing is worse, though, than a single lame postcard—won't work).
    • If you're feeling adventurous, you could try more guerrilla tactics like YouTube etc (I'm thinking of the guys from Dogfish Head for example).

Those are just a few to get you started. I know you're probably on a limited budget but I'd recommend setting aside a small chunk to put towards a marketing budget. Even if it's a couple hundred bucks a month, that can get you some professionally written press releases that are much more likely to get placement and attention.

Best,
    J.

Comment

Thanks for the Reply I was wondering if it was a lost cause, but finally someone came through! Thanks for the information

Comment

My pleasure. Good luck and feel free to email me if you have any additional questions.

—J.

Comment

Think about events that get people involved with your company. Anything that allows people to feel they are a part of what you're doing is a great way to build brand loyalty and a devoted following as well as get media attention.

A good example of this is the Tour de'Fat held by New Belgium. This started out as a small local event that has blossomed into a huge event with sponsors paying big money to be associate with it. Now the event is a money maker for the brewery in addition to promoting the brand.

Think about who your target demographic and design an event targeted at getting them involved.

If you're in a football town maybe its a tailgate cook-off where you have a couple local celebrity judges. Maybe its a flag football tournament or some other kind of contest that you can do on site for a small amount of cash. Ideally you want it to be something that you can do annually because it will grow every year and end up being something the whole community is involved in. It doesn't have to be something you spend a lot of money on it just has to be fun.
          Owner
          Grind Modern Burger
          PostModern Brewers
          Boise, ID

Comment

Working...
          X