Irish moss flakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish moss flakes

Having only used the tablets before, how much flakes for a 10 hl batch? Will these settle out in the whirlpool or am I opening a can of worms in using the flaked version?

grs

I've had problems in the past with flakes accumulating in the heat exchanger. I now use only powdered Irish Moss--Whirlfloc from Crosby & Baker. No more problems. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I've never had issues w/ them in my ht exchanger. Coriander seeds yes, seaweed flakes, no... though I actually use "SuperMoss" now.

I've used "one handful" in a 10 bbl batch with good result...more for BIG beers. And by a handful, I mean an amount that I can hold in my closed hand. Pretty unscientific I realize, so I am interested to see what others use.

Cheers,
      Scott

Comment

Sea Moss

1/2 a cup in 10hl is plenty. Beware of too much as it is detrimental to your head in more ways than one. I learned the hard way following the recommended amounts from Sea Moss Inc. (I think they just wanted to sell more). I like to start it hydrating in a pint of lukewarm water for some hours before use. Sea Moss went out of business some years ago, where are you getting your flaked moss?

Comment

Well, I went with 75 grams for 10hl and hydrated first in some hot water. 75 grams looked like about 1/2 cup or so.

I got a 20 kg bag of it from Scott Laboratories in Pickering, Ontario but the manufacturer is some french company out of Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks all.

grs

Comment

Working...
          X