Corn syrup cask priming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn syrup cask priming

Does anyone prime casks, or anything else, with corn syrup as opposed to dry sugar? I'm looking to save time by not having to dissolve sugar in water -- just dump it in the cask!

I use Dark Karo corn syrup to prime my casks. Works really well. I typically use around 200 to 250 ml. of corn syrup per firkin.
    Steve Donohue
    Brewmaster
    Santa Clara Valley Brewing

Comment

I was thinking of going the "Karo" route myself -- why the dark stuff?

Comment

The light Karo has vanilla flavoring added, and it comes through a little in the taste.
        Steve Donohue
        Brewmaster
        Santa Clara Valley Brewing

Comment

I've always just dumped the sugar in when I fill the firkin. Never had a problem with carbonation. In fact, lately they take two days to vent through the spile. You can get Corn syrup from a food vendor without the vanilla. I use a boat load of it in Lambics. But the dry sucrose dissloves a temp I'm sure. Never had a flat one yet. I do pitch in yeast at same time. Doesn't everybody?

Comment

I generally don't add yeast unless I know the existing yeast is very tired. If I do, it's about 1/2 of one of those homebrew packets of dry yeast. Always toyed with the idea of putting filtered beer in a cask and adding yeast, though...

I'm not worried about the carbonation from undissolved sugar, just the possibility of contamination from unboiled sugar.

Comment

Working...
            X