excessive foaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excessive foaming

It seems as though I have a random problem with excessive carbonation leading to tons of foaming and even one bottle exploding on me. I've let the beer sit to allow the foam to subside and the beer doesn't seem to be infected. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Got a Zahm and Nagel? Natural carbonating, or forced?
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Natural. Funny thing is some bottles are OK others are bombs from the same case.

Comment

Maybe yeast is being left in the bottle after filtration. But that still doesnt explain why some are gushing and others from the same case or not. Curious.......
        Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
        Syracuse, NY

Comment

Calcium oxalate precipitation in the bottles? Are there any very small "floaties" in the bottles?
          Scott Isham
          Harper's Brewpub

Comment

sounds like infected empty bottles, caps or filling tubes to me. Or problem with foaming before capping. There is a lot of reasons to gushing. Oxidation is one. If the problem is random bottles the problem is after bbt and might be unclean filling tubes on filler, or bottles/caps left open to air since last filling day. Or unclean capper / rinserhead.

Comment

I really don´t think that you have a problem with primary or secondary gushing, sounds much more like in infection with an over fermenter: saccharomyces diastaticus or pasteaurians are likly.

You don´t taste the spoilage, since they ferment oligosacharides to the same products as your culture yeast. Plus any selective properties of the beer is totally unharmfull towards them. If infected by this yeast you should see beige flakes on the bottom and in supsension. And they are able to ferment until extrem high pressure exceeding 5 bar!

send a sample in for analyse, that is a quite simple test. good luck
              Last edited by Øl-sheik; 06-24-2007, 06:30 AM.
              Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Well I had another bottle explode. Could it be that the warm temps combined with a beer cabonated a little high could result in an exploding bottle? I've warmed a few bottles and found they are highly carbonated. I haven't then tried cooling them to see if the carbonation goes down. Any suggestions

Comment

could you give some infos about the beer?

is it filtered or not and pasteurized, do you check the degree of attenuation, what is the carbonation level when bottled, what bottles you use?

that would help a lot, thanks!
                  Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Filter, non-pasturized, 12oz long necks, 78% attent.

Comment

How long between filling and exploding? I'm curious if anything even has a chance to grow.

Comment

1 month since bottling

Comment

Assuming it is also not a problem the day after bottling, something is growing. Besides dealing with the obvious contamination source, try to get your attenuation further, by longer or warmer fermentation, cooler mash temp, and/or healthier yeast. If there's less crumbs for the gleaners, there will be less growth.

Comment

How do I prove its infected? Beer stored constantly cold since bottling is fine.

Comment

Send samples to a lab to get analyzed. But it sounds like an infection. What type of filler are you using?
                              Linus Hall
                              Yazoo Brewing
                              Nashville, TN
                              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
                              X