Tying beer names to historic terms/names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying beer names to historic terms/names

I'm considering one day starting a microbrewery in a historic city in New Jersey that's on its way to making a full blown comeback. In addition to purposely locating the brewery in a historic factory building, I was thinking of beer names. My first instinct was to count on the fact that the people I would market to in the immediate city/suburbs would be familiar and have roots within the city, so they would recognize the names and want to try the beer partially based on that. Of course then I guess I'm also staking my beer with the city actually coming back. Is it unwise to name a beer in this way?

It depends. Do you intend to stay local? Then it might work to drive brand loyalty.

But keep in mind that a mere 10 miles away, not many people really care or know about Junky Hollows, The Battle of Turdstock, Weepy River, or Potato Junction.

Comment

And what happens when your brewery is so successful and you move to bigger digs... in the next city over, or to a street different from the one you named your brewery after...I've seen them both and it looks a bit goofy.

Comment

It could work if you're careful

As others have said, I'd be wary of getting too place-specific with your naming in case things change for you geographically down the road.

That said, if it's done right, it could actually be a very nice positioning angle even if you do grow beyond your current borders. In order for it to translate beyond your local community, you'd need to create a very strong, cohesive overall brand. That means being careful about your brewery name, choosing translatable beer names (so the general public could get both a small-town/historic feel without feeling excluded), and creating a consistent look and feel to your labels.

I should also disclose that I'm not a brewer (I run a communications studio and I do beverage consulting).

—Jess

Comment

Working...
        X