What is yeast nutrient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is yeast nutrient?

What is yeast nutrient? Also can yeast metabolize dead yeast cells?

Yeast Nutrient

The yeast nutrient I've used in the past is Zinc Sulfate from Murphy's here in the U.K. It comes in a crystal form and you mix it with water and chuck it in at the end of the boil. It's supposed to aid in a healthy fermentation.

I don't think it will do anything as far as dead yeast cells are concerned.

T
    Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

yeast nutrients

Di-amonium phospate (Nitrogetn source). Autolysed yeast (broken yeast cells) (think marmite or vegemite if you are from Australia) are both used as yeast nutrients. If you are making all malt beers you should not need yeast nutrient IMHO. Malt extract is a perfect medium for growing yeast. Besides di-ammonium phosphate can leave a noticable (bad) taste.

Comment

There's a good summary of nutrient requirements here:

It's possible you don't need a nutrient, but it depends on what you brew with, and what your brewing water is like. Note that the nutrient levels that matter are those in the wort prior to pitching, not in the kettle or the incoming water.

Various commercial formulations are available, we use a Yeastex product, partially due to very soft water.

A quick note regarding zinc: A paper was presented at the ASBC Conference last week that showed that all of the zinc in the wort is absorbed very quickly by the yeast present at pitching, then distributed to successive generations during reproduction. So if you repitch yeast, it will need a new dose of zinc every time to build up its stores for reproduction - there isn't really any "residual" effect.
        --
        Brandon Smith
        Project Engineer
        Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
        Chico, CA

Comment

About zinc, there is carryover to successive generations to some extent, so if you forget adding to one generation you may not see any difference, but by 3 or at most 4 generations I see clear decline in viability and performance. But that is just my yeast and my water. Yours will likely be different. Too much zinc is worse than none at all. I had best luck by doing some math and observing the yeast to fine tune the calcs.
          There are other yeast nutrients you can buy from the yeast companies or such that have a bit more useful stuff than just zinc.

Comment

Working...
          X