Perlick Sample Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perlick Sample Ports

Anyone know a good source for new Perlick sample valves. I have checked G.W. Kent and they don't carry the ones I need. They must go directly into the tank and must be able to accept a carbonation tester. Thanks for your input!
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Just buy them from Perlick directly. We just got some of the newer models with the ball valve and they work great.

Comment

Jason Ager had about a dozen used ones recently (Ager-tank-equipment.com), I bought two, they were a little dirty but after taking them apart and cleaning, they work great.
      Paul Thomas
      Brewer
      Sockeye Brewing
      www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

cleaning perlick sample valves

after you cleaned them did they have a tendancy to leak under pressure? the 3 I took apart and cleaned did ( mayby I put them back together wrong) any hints/thoughts

Fred Colby
        Laughing Dog Brewing

Comment

leaky valves

If your valves are leaking, you can use lapping compund to re-smooth the surface. It's fairly tedious but the valves will come out good as new.

Start with a coarse compound and apply it fairly generously to both pieces of the valve. Work the valve with the compound back and forth and around -- making sure to keep the pieces flush -- for a couple of minutes. You'll feelt he compund start to "wear out." Add some more and keep going for about 10 minutes.

Then use a fine compund to finish. Do the same thing for about 10 minutes, re-applying as necessary.

It's important to keep the pressure evenly distributed as you work the lapping compound. I recommend a table-top vice to keep the out part of the valve steady while you work the inner portion.

This is some information about the grit measurements of different compounds, however I don't know anything about this company:

CLOVER LAPPING AND GRINDING COMPOUNDS are abrasive pastes for the cutting, smoothing and finishing of metal surfaces, and for the precision mating of metal parts.

I know our lapping compund is grease-based but I don't know the actual grit measurements. Perlick would probably be able to make a good recommendation.

Comment

Yes my valves leak, but they also sat for 3 years before i took them apart. I have changed the gaskets, and have regreased with white lithium. Havent heard about lapping, but a friend who has a machine shop says they probably have worn down and need to be retapped. I think I'm just gonna buy new ones from perlick. I'll keep the old ones as extras. I'll try relapping one.

Cheers!!
            Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
            Syracuse, NY

Comment

I soaked them in caustic, then acid, then after they were clean and dry put a light film of CIP Lube on the interior, and good to go. I also got extra gaskets for the tank connection at the local hardware store. They are on brite tanks at 10-15 psi and no leaks.
              Paul Thomas
              Brewer
              Sockeye Brewing
              www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Perlick Alternative

There is an option to the Perlick swickel that is an improved design over the "old" style, which is a plug valve. Perlick has a new design, which is much better if you are buying new ones, but they can be a bit pricey. The alternative is from PBM, a specialty valve manufacturer from Pittsburgh, which has a rising stem design based on a pharmaceutical sampling valve. It comes with the spigot for the sampling devices common in breweries. It's been a while, but they were less $ than the Perlicks when I last dealt with them, and had a replaceable seal and O-ring, which made it much easier to maintain and service. They also come in several end configurations (Tri-Clamp and threaded). They sell through distributors, so check with them to see who can get them near you. They handled the flaming and sterilization stuff pretty well. I confess that I worked for one of their distributors when they came out, and thought they were the best new product for brewers I'd seen in a while, and after 12 years in brewing I almost shat myself with joy at the chance to call on my former colleagues, since I was dealing with biotech and pharmaceutical companies at the time. I've sinced gotten back into production (sales was not for me...), only making drugs now, so I guess brewing was sort of a "gateway" job....but I digress. Check out the PBM's and compare them to the Perlick's. There are options.

Jim P

Comment

Any contact info for this company in Pittsburgh? I might just stop in!
                  Cheers,
                  Scott

Comment

PBM Contact info

1070 Sandy Hill Road
                    Irwin, PA 15642
                    724 863-0550

Comment

Working...
                    X