Spices: boil vs. whirlpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spices: boil vs. whirlpool

In order to get the most out of common spices, freshly ground, is it better to boil in the last minutes or to pitch at whirlpool? I'm thinking especially about coriander

Zb

I vote to pitch @ Whirlpool..
    BTW, grinding coriander right before you add it is the only way in my opinion.

Jeff
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

BTW, I was asking because I tried in the past adding it directly to the fermenter and the results where disapointing.

50g per hecto, is what I usually use at -5/-10 min to knockout

Zb

Comment

coriander

We get best results by adding spices 5 minutes before end of boil.
        And, as Jeff posted, grinding coriander before you add it is the right way.

Fred

Comment

Toast those seeds!

We toss our freshly ground spices in the last five miunutes also, try toasting those seeds in skillet over medium heat just until you see a slight wiff of steam coming from them (WATCH them the whole time as they can burn quickly ). Cool them qucikly (toss on cookie sheet and in the freezer for 3-5 minutes) and then grind away. By toasting you are helping to release the aromatic oils, and will be greatly satisfied with the result!

Soup
          Nicholas Campbell

Comment

Star Anise

Does the same methods apply to star anise, grind them up and toss in at the whirlpool?
            David Wollner
            Brewer/Owner
            Willimantic Brewing Company
            967 Main St.
            Willimantic, CT.06226
            860-423-6777
            www.willibrew.com
            david.wollner@willibrew.com

Comment

Why not add them during fermentation?
              Mark Duchow
              Brew Master
              Short Fuse Brewing Co.
              Chicagoland
              "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Mullet
                Why not add them during fermentation?
                I usually shoot for a moderate spicyness, then tweek the taste if necessary by adding more spices at the last stage of fermentation, just about when I free rise.

Keep in mind some spices float, some sinks, so it's better to have convection still going on in the FV.

Zb

Comment

For those adding spices to the fermenter, how are you sanitizing the spices? Steam? Hot wort? Not at all?

The last seems risky to me.
                  Cheers,
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Brewsalot
                    For those adding spices to the fermenter, how are you sanitizing the spices? Steam? Hot wort? Not at all?

The last seems risky to me.
                    Cheers,
                    Scott
                    Good'ole, peracetic solution!

No... I simply use a part of bottled water and top it with water from HLT to reach 60c

Comment

What bacteria, wild yeast or mold are associated with your spices? You don’t need to sterilize your spices. If your fermentation is clean and rocking there should be no worries about contamination.

Do you sterilize your hops when dry hopping?
                      Mark Duchow
                      Brew Master
                      Short Fuse Brewing Co.
                      Chicagoland
                      "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

The majority of our spices are anti-microbial.

There has even been some interesting research on the correlation between the use of spices in ethnic foods and the weather in those areas. Hotter areas, where food spoils quicker, have adapted to using a larger number of spices, while colder areas (i.e. Northern Europe) have adapted to using minimal spices. Olefins are responsible for most spice flavors, and tend to kill bacteria (as well as fungus )
                        fungus rules the earth

Comment

speaking from a Chef's point of view, it is best to toast them before you use them. Tossing them in the hot wort hot works because the heat will bring out SOME of the essential oils, but heating them prior to using them is the only way to insure you get the most out of your spice. By the way you should do this whenever you use spices, not just when brewing!

I think tossing them in the kettle will give you more pronounce flavor then in the fermenter but you will get a subtle under note if you toast them and then add them to the fermenter.

My $.02

John

Comment

It depends on the character you are looking for.

I think for a 'fresher' spice character the end of the boil (Last 2 min or WP) is best but more complexity can be acheived if they are added earlier.

Why not try 2 or more additions. say 15min from end boil and then at the start of WP.

Ash

Comment

Working...
                            X