Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purging with carbonated water?

Hi all--

I'm opening up a brewery focusing on large format (750 mL champagne bottles), bottle conditioned beers, and I've purchased a 6 head gravity wine filler. I'm thinking of ways to clean and purge the bottles, so I had a seemingly brilliant idea when I was half awake and wanted to confirm it with you experts.

How about I fill a keg with sterilized water, carbonate the water to 4-5 volumes, and use it as a dual rinse and Co2 purge? I'll be using those "homebrew" bottle jet spray nozzles. If that wouldn't provote enough Co2 for purging, how about adding a carbonation stone in-line to the rinse head for more Co2 action?

Do you think I am killing two birds with one stone, or should I wake up before declaring my ideas brilliant? It would be nice to do this in one step rather than rinsing, then purging with a separate device.

Look for a double air evacuated filler. The fill rod will purge the bottles right before filling.
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Comment

That's where the problem is-- I'm using a gravity wine filler (already purchased, going the inexpensive route for bottle conditioned beer), and I need to purge through a separate device.

Comment

While it is obviously better than nothing I wouldn't think it is as good as actually purgeing the bottles. It seems like you would be pouring most of the CO2 out with the rinse water since it is heavyer than air.

Have you thought about riging up some sort of water jet to purge the bottles with foam after filling?
        Last edited by nickfl; 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X