Glycol flow ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol flow ?

We are working on a old glycol system with one little pump for each fermenter installed. We want to change that for a system with one pump for the entire system and one valve to each fermenter.

We don't know what kind of flow rate we should looking for. How many gallons-liters per minutes we should push in the fermenters jackets ?

tank flows

I would suggest contacting the fermenter manufacturer for their recommended flow information, if this isn't possible a safe estimate is around 5 GPM per jacket.

Estimate the average number of jackets calling for cooling at one time, size the pump based on this flow rate.

One issue to consider is not to over pressurize the jackets, especially if these are older tanks. I would install a pressure bypass valve in the supply header that will divert the flow of glycol to the Return header.

I am currently traveling and won't be back into my office until Monday, but you can email or PM any flow data. Please include the length of the piping run, where the chiller is in relation to the fermenters (same level, basement below, on roof above, etc) and the vertical lift in the piping. I would be happy to help spec a pump and pressure bypass valve for you.

Good luck,

Jim

jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

You can throttle back your pump with a regulator.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
      X