Correlation of Degree liter and extract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correlation of Degree liter and extract

Things get a bit confusing when I look at malt analysis in texts published stateside. Can someone tell me what the correlation of the extract in US malt analysis is, compared to degree liters that I use here in the UK. For example, a good well modified British pale malt has an extract rating of about 305 degree litre per kg. On some stateside malt analysis' I see ratings of either 80% or 11.2P(I realize that 11.2P is Plato and works out to about 1044.8 gravity) If someone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Conan

Right then, I guess I'll have to answer my own question.....

According to an article written by Greg Noonan for Brewing Techniques:

" British Maltsters commonly quote a different extract value based upon how many liters of wort at S.G.1.001 a kilogram of malt will give at 68F (20C), and list it as Hot Water Extract, or L degree/kg, at 7M (ground at .7 mm an a Buhler- Miag mill, or coarse grind) or at 2M (fine grind). Divide the figures by 386 to get DBCG or DBFG, respectively, expressed as a decimal. HWE for two- row lager or pale shouldn't be less than 300 at 2M, 295 at 7M."

Simple enough.

Conan

Comment

... To be a little more percise, you should include the moisture content into the calculations to adjust for their difference.
      This is for conversion between Litre degrees and extract % and also Recipe Formulation, because extract values quoted is based on Dry basis.
      Matt

Comment

I know this is an ancient thread, but I "need" to revise it to obtain some accurate conversions (or as accurate as is available) for some exam questions I am writing.

Does anyone have a copy of the Greg Noonan article, (or any other well founded article for that matter) they could send me, or a current active, non password protected link they could direct me to?

Thanks very much
        dick

Comment

Probrewer website. In the Library link under Malt you will find the Noonan article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.

It didn't show up anywhere with a google search
            dick

Comment

Noonan Article

Here you go.
              By Greg Noonan You are a serious grain brewer. Whether you brew professionally, as a hobby, or as an obsession, you take pride in your beer. You do everything you can do to reproduce each of your r…

Comment

Ah. Sorry. I didn't make myself clear. I found the article on PB. I just meant when I had tried earlier, a google search didn't show this.

Thanks again for looking after me!!
                dick

Comment

Working...
                X