Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proposed ttb "serving facts"

hi all,

is anyone else concerned about the implications of the proposed ttb serving fact rules? it seems like this would be a huge burden for small brewers like myself. my concerns are these:

i bottle twelve ounce bottles. it seems that the label would be awfully crowded with nutritional info, govt warning, address of the brewer, net contents, and the actual beer name and artwork on it. a back label would seem necessary. i currently operate a very old world tandem labeler that doesnt do back labels. the rules would force me to invest in new equipment that is expensive and that i dont have room for. (although i will hopefully have a newer, bigger brewery by the time the rules take effect.)

can we use calculations to determine alcohol content, calories, carbs, etc? or will we have to have each beer lab tested? i certainly dont have the lab equipment for that and it would be an added expense to send samples to a lab.

do these labeling requirements apply to keg collars as well? currently we list all of our beers on one collar and check the beer name that is in the keg. in order to fit all of the info on a keg collar, i see needing to print a keg collar for each beer, which again adds expense.

in 9+ years of business, i have had maybe 2 or 3 people ask about the nutritional content of my beer. i just dont see my customers caring enough for me to have to go through all this expense and hassle.

interested to hear what others have to say.

cheers,
    sam

Hello Sam,

I have concerns as well. So do all the brewers with whom I speak that are aware of the new proposals. I followed a link from the Brewers Association and looked at some transcripts on the proceedings. Many folks including brewing folks and anti-alcohol groups with large pockets seem to have concerns as well. I think things are still in the comment period. I'm not really sure yet what a small brewer such as myself can do at this point. I am hoping at some point it will become clear to me where to send that email, fax or letter.

I just hope they do away with that standard serving nonsense.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

TTB serving Facts

If you are a member of the Brewers Association then they have a survey for you to take, look for the email with link and please fill it out. It will be used in formulating the stand for craft brewers in the US.

Fred Colby
      Laughing Dog Brewing

Comment

Working...
      X