Pennsylvania brewpub growler sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania brewpub growler sales

I'm opening a small brewery & pub in Berwick. Can someone with experience opening and operating a PA brewpub answer a question about growler sales? I'm hearing tales from the Beeradvocate crowd that the PLCB requires a waiting period after opening to begin selling growlers. I know that Philly has some kind of off-premise sales license, but I understood the rest of the state was free to sell growlers.

Normally I'd take such "advice" from BA for what it's worth, however I did hear that Union Barrel Works had a delay in their ability to sell growlers after opening. Was that a licensing issue or something as simple as waiting for the growlers to arrive?

Also, is there any state or federal registration/approval process for the growler itself? It's my understanding that the TTB considers a growler filled at the tap (not pre-filled) to be simply a large glass of beer. So no COLA or other paperwork is needed, right?

So what, if any, restrictions/registration/licensing is needed to sell growlers?

Thanks for any insight!

---Guy

In my experience (a brewery and a tap house) there has not been any waiting period to sell growlers. And like you stated as long as you are filling them at the tap when ordered and not prefilling you shouldn't have any labeling issues. I have however heard that some PLCB agents do require that you only fill your own logoed bottles and not anyone else's (varies from agent to agent) .

Comment

At my place, I don't have a license to serve - just Mfg and Dist, so my growlers needed to go thru the Federal Review process. It took a couple of iterations to get it right...

Cheers,
      Scott

Comment

This might be a silly question but in Australia I have rarely seen growlers.

Is it just brewpubs that fill growlers with their own beers or can you fill them with any beer on tap (from other breweries)? I'm asking as we're opening a beer bar and it would be good to know (although I'd need to check local licensing laws as well)..

Comment

In the US, it varies from state to state, but yes, beer bars are routinely offering growlers in my area - pricing is all over the map though, on both the container and the contents.

Hope that helps.
          Cheers,
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X