Monobloc II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monobloc II

I am trying to resurrect a 20 bbl. Bavarian Brothers Mono Bloc II. Does anyone else have this system or know anyone with this type of system? I would love to see one in operation.

I am in need of some specific parts such as, a light housing for the kettle and a mash motor. If anyone can help my search it would be much appreciated.

Matt Mac

Check out brewskis brewing co in Hermosa beach California they have a mono block.and try brewtech industries in sandiego the have alot of bohemian equipment talk to Bill he might be able to . brewtechinc.com.hope this helps

CHEERS
    The pig

Comment

I have a Bohemian Breweries MonoBloc I 10bbl system currently in operation. I'm not sure if I can be of any assistance. Let me know.
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by flyinpig
        [B]Check out brewskis brewing co in Hermosa beach California they have a mono block.and try brewtech industries in sandiego the have alot of bohemian equipment talk to Bill he might be able to . brewtechinc.com.hope this helps
        Just a warning: While brewmaster for a microbrewery back in 1995, I did business with BrewTech and they absolutely ripped us off. Sold me a kettle but never sent the lid (had to finally have one fabricated locally), and sent me a glycol chiller that was 1/10 the size specified and unusable. Their salesman, Bill (possibly the same guy still there) was the epitome of weasel.

Sincerely,

Tim

Comment

Warning: Any business you do with BrewTech is at your own risk. Don't count on them for anything. They usually don't even answer the phone 'cause they are afraid it's another lawyer suing them!

If you have a monobock II watch out for lower steam jacket corrosion poblems (see Mallett's article about insulation that contains chlorine) parts are hard (but not impossible) to get. I have a 15BBL monoblock II and if you end up with one I can tell you where to get just about any part on the skid.

Just a quick parts sourcing tip: Look in the U.S. first. I have found that most of the stuff on the skid can be replaced with U.S. parts for less money than just the shipping on stuff from abroad. Example: Switches on the panel are all Schliegel...Mcmaster Carr stocks suitable replacements. You have to change the whole switch block, but it's still cheaper.
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

Mono Block

Larry,

Saw your post about Mono Blocks, we have one of the "in betweens" so I am not sure what it is. We are having a hard time finding some parts like gaskets for all the butterfly valves. Are you able to source those out?
            We already have replaced all the switches from McMaster Carr as you suggested.
            By the way this system was installed in 1996 and it was Hell. Over three months of install with the Bohemian service rep there most of the time trying to put it all together. Most parts have been cannabilized to limp the system along. Still we manage to make decent beer off it.

Buyer beware of these systems!!!
            Bill Madden
            CEO and Brewer
            Mad Fox Brewing Company
            Northern Virginia
            703.380.0622 cell

Comment

suppliers: the good, the bad, and the ugly

I saw the posts out there about Monobloc/ Brew Tech and it made me wonder, have others have particularly bad experiences with other manufacturers (either the equipment or service)? On the flip side, has anyone found a manufacturer whose equipment is better than average (or great)? I would assume that JVNW and DME are good systems since so many people have them, but have never brewed on either one more than once or twice. I've never had to do the equipment purchase so thought others might be able to share their hard earned wisdom.

Comment

monobloc system

We also have a monobloc system purchased through Brewtech. And as seems to be the standard experience only got three quarters of the stuff that we paid for even though when we originally looked at the system it was all there. The missing parts were everything from knobs to secure the mash tun and hot liquor tank doors to the manway cover for one of the fermenters.
                Even though Brewtech clearly had these parts it was impossible to get any from them. At one point they even told me that they had been sent out, but of course I never got them. I guess once they have your money they do not care anymore. Despite all this I have been able to make great beer on this system. I have been working on the system for almost a year and have had some minor problems but so far it has been ok in spite of the missing parts. As far as great systems to work with, the best one that I worked on was a Newlands 15 barrel.

Good Luck to all Monobloc owners
                ( and all other brewers)

Comment

Good and Bad...

Good question, Chip!

My other notable negative experience with an equipment supplier wasn't quite as bad as my BrewTech experience, but in starting up a brewpub in Virginia Beach about five years ago, we purchased a system from Bohemian Brewing Systems (who are actually Romanian). The quality of the system was mostly excellent, but the installation was a nightmare. The system was installed by the proprietor of Bohemian (who is a Romanian who's lived in the USA for over 20 years) and two non-English-speaking Romanian fellows (one a plumber/pipefitter, the other an electrician) who proceeded as if the concept of "meeting code" never existed. We had huge problems with electrical stuff, the steam boiler, and refrigeration. Oh, and even though the system was their showpiece (shipped to us directly from the National Craft Brewer's Conference and Trade Show), there was no valve on the mash tun drain/recirc pipe. I had to have the pipe cut and a valve welded on!

That said, the tanks and other vessels were first-rate!

I've had excellent experiences with Specific Mechanical, DME, and Century tanks and brewing systems, and can highly recommend Dairy Engineering in Arvada, Colorado, for used tanks and fabricating all kinds of stuff.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Hey Matt,
                    How is going in Tracy start-up?
                    Doesn't Bill at Elk Grove have a MonoBlock??
                    Steve @ Valley Brew

Comment

I tried to buy a 10 BBL system from Bohemian, but Lewis Karsanyi was just impossible to deal with. He wanted a deposit to even view the equipment, but would not say where the money would go, or when and how the deposit would be returned if I was not interested in pursuing it. Very poor at communication, which is not good for sales. I can accept that Bohemian's equipment is good, but dealing with them is a nightmare.

Anyone had any dealings with Ager Tank and Equipment? I would appreciate any comments.

Comment

I've purchased several items from Jason Ager in the past. He is very knowledgeable about used equipment and seems to have alot of leads on equipment becoming available. I only have great things to say about Ager Tank and Equipment. On a different note....I thought Lewis worked for Bavarian Brewing Technology? I would highly recommend Newlands for smaller brew-systems(7-20 bbl), JVNW for midsize brew-systems(20-80 bbl), and Huppman for large brewsystems(80+ bbl). Mueller tanks are great as well!
                        Mike Jordan
                        Brewmaster
                        Boxing Cat Brewery
                        Shanghai, P.R. China
                        michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Thanks, Mike for the Ager info. Jason sounded good on the phone. Yes, I meant Bavarian (d'oh).

How about Sound Brewing Systems? They seem somewhat pricey, but if equipment supplied by them is making Moose Drool (Big Sky), that's a good sign. Plus they're here in Seattle. Two categories I'm looking at: 10BBL system for a brewpub, and 25-30BBL or so with bottling equipment for a microbrewery. Worth checking out?

Comment

I've never purchased anything from Vince but I have spoke with him and seems like a nice guy. Generally speaking I think all used equipment brokers are straight shooters. Their niche is buying and selling used goods and I believe they realize their reputation has to be outstanding in order to make a living. I think the bottom line is you're buying "as is" items from many manufacturer's that are no longer in business so it's always good to know what brewery the items came from. By chance maybe you can then talk to a former employee that's familiar with the equipment. That's what I've done in the past and it has greatly helped with used equipment purchases.

Cheers
                            Mike Jordan
                            Brewmaster
                            Boxing Cat Brewery
                            Shanghai, P.R. China
                            michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Bohemian/Bavarian

It looks like Bohemian, whose systems seemed to be based on Bavarian, bought out Bavarian and took the name. Lewis Karsanyi is still the guy who sold us the Bohemian system in 1998 that I mentioned earlier.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X