Hot Liquor Tank Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Liquor Tank Cleaning

I've got a hot liquor tank and a cold liquor tank (cold water used in the heat exchanger and then transferred to the hot liquor tank for mash and sparge). I'm curious what other brewers do for cleaning these tanks. I've been circulating a phosphoric acid solution through them twice a year, but there seems to be some iron colored streaks in both tanks. The water here is not hard and calcium buildup hasn't been a problem.

Can anyone recommend chemicals, methods, or frequency for cleaning them?

Thanks!

Loffler Acid #5 followed by Peracetic Acid sani should do the job just fine.
    John C. Bolling
    QA/QC/Bottling Operations
    Ironstone Vineyards

Comment

hot liquor tank cleaner

Originally posted by rafters_brewer
      I've got a hot liquor tank and a cold liquor tank (cold water used in the heat exchanger and then transferred to the hot liquor tank for mash and sparge). I'm curious what other brewers do for cleaning these tanks. I've been circulating a phosphoric acid solution through them twice a year, but there seems to be some iron colored streaks in both tanks. The water here is not hard and calcium buildup hasn't been a problem.

Can anyone recommend chemicals, methods, or frequency for cleaning them?

Thanks!
      HI:
      I recommed to use Five Star's ACID CLEANER #6, which is specially formulated to solve scale formation.
      Its blend of detergent and acid quickly
      penetrates into build up and easily dissolves oxalate scale.
      For more info go to their web site : www.FiveStarchemicals.com

For your info, I'm not associated with them, just talking from experience with their products.

Fred

Comment

Karafol

We use Karafol . Drain the tank, scoop out/rinse out what you can, then run the karafol solution in recirc. Drain, rinse, then as stated it´s important you neutralize with caustic (to prevent corrosion) before refilling the tank.

Comment

Working...
        X