Determining found hops variety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining found hops variety?

I was in my hometown and found some hops growing by a creek, and harvested some of them, of course not knowing what kind they are. I know this is a long shot but is it possible to tell a hop variety by a photo? Assuming it is not is there a place I can send them to? I did plant one of the vines in my garden but I'd like to figure out if it is a kind that is worth growing. It was pretty eaten up by bugs in places but it didn't seem to affect it at all, so it seems like it is pretty resistant to critters. Also some other cones had some "beards", for lack of the correct term, a few are visible in the photo.

These were found growing in Heppner, OR FWIW.

How do they smell ( hibiscus flowers, grapefruit, like earth?) and what do the leaves look like? I see a burr which is an undeveloped cone-- is that the beard? When in doubt make a hop tea and drink it. What do they taste like?

Maybe Centennial or Chinook? look at http://www.hopunion.com/pics.shtml pictures.

Comment

They have a very light smell at this point, but I would say it is a flowery smell. My experience with hops until now was entirely of dried hops. Do the hops gain a much stronger smell after they have dried?

By the "beard", I was referring to the "corn silk" looking pieces coming out of the hop cone.

Based on those photos, I would have to say the Chinook more closely resembles these, based on the pointed leaves.
      Last edited by CBBC; 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Floral like: like clover, like roses, like yarrow, ?
        Alright I will go take some pictures to compare. Liberty Chinook or Centennial and anymore I guess that look right

The faint smell is probably because they are not yet mature.

But of course you should keep and plant and care for this hop

Comment

I agree about them not being mature. I will go back in a week or so and check again, with hopes that they will be "ripe".

These were planted by someone and are left to grow as they please. The bines are everywhere.

Comment

If you can get some idea how long ago they were planted, you can rule out the newer varieties. Cascade was developed in 1972, and anything before that I would guess is likely Cluster. Ask your local hop farmers what varieties were grown nearby.

Comment

Closest hop farms are about 125 miles away in the Yakima valley.

Comment

Were hops grown around there at one time? Give a call to the Hermiston Ag Research and Extension Center and ask them about hops being grown in your area. I suspect they were there before Cascade was developed, therefore if it is a leftover from those days, it is Cluster. If you mail Ralph O at HopUnion a cone, he can smell Cluster a mile away. Cluster used to be basically the only hop grown in the West and they are very distinctive. We are spoiled with diversity today.
                Last edited by Moonlight; 08-23-2007, 11:59 PM.

Comment

I think the plant was grown as a decorative item in a long forgotten garden. There are other fruit trees in this area that nobody harvests, and whoever owns the land does not even care about the fruit, much less the hops. This is a very arid region and I think that had they not been growing right by a creek that they might have died long ago.

Comment

We have a bunch growing on the side of the brewery that look pretty healthy, they are at least 20' high and doubled over on themselves a few times.
                    I am new to the Pacific Northwest and I have no experience with live hops. How can you tell when they are mature? What kind of a window is there for picking them?
                    Jeff Byrne

Comment

I am pretty new to homegrown hops but understand that the outside of the leaves should be somewhat papery, and the hop should spring back to its shape when you squeeze it, rather than staying squished.j

You should post a pic!

Comment

Kinda like a pineapple, when you hold the tip with one hand and brush the brachts backwards with your other, at least one bracht should be so dry and brittle that it breaks off. It should smell like crazy, too.

Comment

Here is a pic from my phone..
                          Attached Files
                          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
                            If you mail Ralph O at HopUnion a cone, he can smell Cluster a mile away. Cluster used to be basically the only hop grown in the West and they are very distinctive. We are spoiled with diversity today.
                            Ooops-- so spoiled by diversity that I forgot there was a time before. Yup-- get a sample to someone to smell and pull apart. Any chance there is male plant in the midst of the wildness? Small small flowers and no cones.

Jephro-- Beautiful picture of hops on their way to heaven! Jealous cause i can't make my digital camera work.

Ready cones are leathery and fragrant and they ripen at different times so you can pull down the bines when the majority are done and plan on tossing out the shattered cones or you get out the ladder and work on picking several times. Watch out for those mean resin rich prickly bines.

Andrea

Comment

Wow, that looks pretty cool - probably not going to get a positive ID out of that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X