Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cask Conditioning!!!

Just a quick question...
    I was thinking about using unfermented wort to condition a DIPA cask. I have heard of this method before, but have never had the time to make it happen. As of right now i use brown sugar...approx. 28 grams for a 10 gallon cask. Is it wrong to assume that i can mearly take a plato reading on the sugar and match that with a plato reading of unfermented wort. Just add the same amounts. If this is wrong i could use some ideas...also if it is pointless and sugar is just fine that is cool too.
    -James Murray
    Brewer
    Ballast Point Brewing Co.
    San Diego, CA
    "Get The Point!"

you have to include the attenuation rate of the wort into the calculation. If the wort has only 75% attenuation, it will only provide 75% of the CO2 as if you are using sugar at the same gravity.

Since this is a DIPA, already a high gravity beer, I think it may be nicer to your already stressed yeast to just feed them simple sugar than wort.

Comment

Conditioning with active ferment

There is a great paper by John Mallet. John is presently working for Larry bell, but was on of the foremost consultants to the small brewing industry. He describes in great detail how to do this for bottled beer. good luck\\

Graydon

Comment

Paper

Where is the paper from John published (MBAA, ASBC, The New Brewer, Zymurgy etc); can you attach a copy?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Scheer
          Where is the paper from John published (MBAA, ASBC, The New Brewer, Zymurgy etc); can you attach a copy?
          I have the spreadsheet John developed for the talk/paper he did. If anyone is interested in a copy PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it. The spreadsheet is more for bottle conditioning than cask and I've never used it.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

calculator

I know this doesn't have an option for using wort but I use this for other sugar sources. I have found it to be quite reliable.

Last edited by Buckley; 12-15-2007, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X