O2 usage in oktoberfest wort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 usage in oktoberfest wort

Propagated lager yeast for an oktoberfest and will be brewing our oktoberfest on thursday. Will be cooling-in at 10 C (50 F). Our O2 regulator delivers O2 in L/min. In order to cool-in at 10 C the flow rate of wort will be approximately 30 gal/min. Any suggestions as to the rate of O2 to inject in the wort for this freshly propagated yeast? Can you really harm the yeast at this stage by giving it too much O2? At what point will the O2 not go into the wort solution? So will extra O2 at this point just be a waste?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

without a DO meter you're shooting in the dark. turn it on, drink a beer, and cross your fingers!
    Larry Horwitz

Comment

I guess i am just a visual person, but i generally just look at the sight glass. If you know your system, you should be able to "eyeball" it. Most of my knockouts are ales, and i run about 3-5 LPM of O2. It's funny how i can be so anal about some things, and others i just kinda go with my gut. (the lack of equipment helps too )

When i did my O'fest just a few weeks ago, i actually knocked out at ale temp (68 or so) and just let the FV's jacket bring my temp down to target. So i really did not have to change the O2 flow.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
      X