Assistant Job interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistant Job interview

I have an interview for a job at a brewery as an assistant. What would be the correct attire for the interview? Should I go with a suit and tie, slacks and tie, jeans and a button down? What is the norm?

Thanks

Well I would say that a suit and tie is too much. If it was me (and it was about 6 years ago), try a pair of dockers, nice shirt, clean shoes and wash your hair...worked for me.
    -Beaux

Comment

make sure they can see you have 2 arms with hands, as that is very important...and cut your fingernails...

If you bring a well written resume and show great interest in learning and wishing to work hard able to do flexible hours your sure to get the job.
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

Originally posted by steins13
        I have an interview for a job at a brewery as an assistant. What would be the correct attire for the interview? Should I go with a suit and tie, slacks and tie, jeans and a button down? What is the norm?

Thanks
        If the clothes matters to your employer, you probably don't want to work there anyway.

Show interest in the job - do your research about the brewery and its products. Be very realistic in your expectations and be careful to explain that you acknowledge the fact that being a brewing assistant is not all about sampling new beers and coming up with new recipes - but mostly cleaning, milling, dragging bags around, cleaning and more cleaning.

If you can say a word ot two about hygiene it will definitely help.

Good luck!
        -Christian

Comment

Wear jeans or slacks with a decent collared shirt, good work boots, and your hair neat. You might get put to work right away! I have interviewed a couple of people that showed up in shorts and a tank top with flip flops - I could tell without talking to him that the guy wouldn't work very hard.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

personally I always believe that you should just be yourself in the interview.

You can do everything to *impress* your potential employer and raise their expectation, but unless you are going to behave exactly the same way at the job the whole time, you are only to disappoint them by giving them the false expectation.

be yourself.
            be neat and clean -- as you should be as a brewer.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSA
              If the clothes matters to your employer, you probably don't want to work there anyway.

-Christian
              Dress and behave like a professional, get treated like one...and that includes pay. I would expect candidates for assistant positions to show up in business casual attire. Dockers and a nice shirt would be appropriate...but as your mother said you can never over dress. Ditto on the hair and nails. Show you can take care of your sanitation and a brewer will be more likely to let you take care of his (hers). Also, brewers are the face of the brewery...ask yourself as you get ready for the interview if you look like someone worthy of stewarding the breweries brand image.

cheers and good luck.
              Larry Horwitz

Comment

Dress

In my opinion, it depends on the interview. If it is a working interview, find out what the brewer wants you to wear (just ask, sometimes they have specific requirements such as a hat.) If you know it is not a working interview, dress with a tie, nice pants, and shirt. Also wear shoes you can get wet, but not your trashy sneakers. Remember all of your clothing is washable or at the worst dry-cleanable. Often times brewers will be working while interviewing you, and may ask you to hold onto something or flip a switch. This is a combination of needing a second pair of hands and to see if you are willing to get your hands dirty.
                Dammy Olsson
                Quality Manager
                Wormtown Brewery
                Worcester, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Horwitz
                  Dress and behave like a professional, get treated like one...and that includes pay. I would expect candidates for assistant positions to show up in business casual attire. Dockers and a nice shirt would be appropriate...but as your mother said you can never over dress. Ditto on the hair and nails. Show you can take care of your sanitation and a brewer will be more likely to let you take care of his (hers). Also, brewers are the face of the brewery...ask yourself as you get ready for the interview if you look like someone worthy of stewarding the breweries brand image.

cheers and good luck.
                  Larry speaks for me!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Check out the section "Hiring the Best Brewers" on ProBrewer. You can find the link on the front page. This gives the perspective of what a good head brewer looks for when hiring a brewer.

Admin

Comment

Look your best. People tend to dress more casually now than they did in the past, but I still recommend a "Suit and Tie". You are competing against other people so it doesn't hurt to show you want this job.

Comment

A suit may be a bit much

It's possible that your dinner jacket and bow-tie will convey that you are either unfamiliar with the cleaning reality of a brewery, or that you somehow consider yourself above it. At the same time, you don't want to look or smell like you just staggered off a pirate ship, so you might want to do some recon to determine what the appropriate level is "in situ". My personal rule of thumb is to be slightly better dressed than the person interviewing me.

Comment

Working...
                        X