cascade hop price increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cascade hop price increase

Wow, just got our quote for crop year 2007, and was really surprised at how much Cascades have jumped in price - our price is almost 3x last years.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Yeah, and they are still trying to blame everything on that damn fire. Initially, I heard the fire was mostly Columbus, then it was Centennial, and now it's Cascade. Pretty soon they will be blamming the demise of Eroica on the fire. Maybee this is why most of the I.I.P.A.'s out there are starting to have the strong taste of hop extract.
    Drink the beer, destiny of the land.

Comment

I haven't heard the cascade/fire relationship-but you can be sure that less acreage is being planted in hops. Plus many farmers are planting high alpha hops and there is less aroma hops (remember, they are trying to make a profit too) Finally, with the increased beer production every year-we all want em.So, it has a lot to do with supply and demand.
      So, that's what I've heard. Believe it? sure-i do
      Matt Van Wyk
      Brewmaster
      Oakshire Brewing
      Eugene Oregon

Comment

Unstable weather patterns too!

Headline story in e-malt.com

USA: More than 1 million lbs losses of hops because of storms US weather conditions have also been generally conducive for a good crop. But also the US has suffered from strong rain and hail storms

Sorry can't load the whole article because you need to pay for it. Rain is a friend and a foe at harvest time!

Comment

I hear Europe had a bad hop year, and their buyers are offering lots of $ to US growers, who in turn want better pay schedules and the like. Cascades are looking ridiculous, we have contracted for 2007 Amarillo instead, as well as switching from a few other varieties that are in high demand. Be prepared to take what you can get if you are not contracting your whole demand for next year.
          Paul Thomas
          Brewer
          Sockeye Brewing
          www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Working...
          X