Light Beer Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Beer Please Help!

Hi everybody, I read the pre release of the Standards that my government try to approve, and I find a issue about Light Beer, where they assume 3 cases:

1. Light by low alcohol
    2. Light by low carbs.
    3. Light by the reduction of some physical attribute or Organoleptic.

For me, the point 3 is not a point for Light in Beer Industries, what do you thing about it?

Thanks

While it is a questionable definition, one could say that the same recipe attributes that effect #'s 1&2 effect #3... i.e. Smaller grain bill = less alcohol (1), lower carb content (2), thinner body, less flavor, paler color (3).

Comment

Yes, the case is, the point 3 was included by the only one large brewery here in Costa Rica, because they are selling a beer named "Imperial Light", but the beer is not low in alcohol, not low in carbs, is only low in hops, then the flavor is less bitter that the original "Imperial" beer, and they was demanded for this reasons, and they want to protect them self with this point # 3.

I think that all light beers of the world use "Light" only for point #1 and point #2,
      The point #3 is not clear to the consumer.

Thanks

Comment

It's in the taste-not the name

I'd say Imperial is stretching the truth a bit, but then again I hate regulations. If I want to brew a black & roasty "pilsner", then let the market decide my fate, not regulators. I brew a light-colored, light-bodied, zesty, 5% "pilsner-style" beer with an ale yeast. We call it "Light", even though we don't have an original beer to compare it to. It just and simply is light-except in alcohol.
        So, Patolucas, if you want to one-up Imperial, then you might want to brew a beer advertised as "LIGHT IN CALORIES-NOT LIGHT IN TASTE". Bring your issue forward and educate your audience. Mandating strict beer style guidelines for the purpose of "truth in advertising" might not be the battle you want to fight.
        All that being said, "Light" beer should never differentiate itself by being light in taste, IMHO!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by patolucas
          3. Light by the reduction of some physical attribute or Organoleptic.
          So... does filtration count as reduction of some physical attribute?

sounds like a rather loosely defined and hard to enforce law...
          Does this "light" category allows for lower taxation? or is it supposed to protect the consumer (who is afraid of the extra 80 Cal?)

Comment

Protection

All of this sounds as though the large brewing company is lobbying to create a definition of "light beer" in order to hold at bay who can label their beers as light. Most likely the three items listed is something they practice in their brewery already and therefore are trying to flex their political muscle in their country inorder to push some other brands out that can not meet the criteria as to be labeled as such.
            I am in agreement with Jarviw, I would think that by filtering the beer with a 0.5 mu filter, the stripping process would physically alter the beer composition by removing larger molecular componets. They could go as far as liquid nitrogen injection with triple filtration to ensure consistent blandness in their lager or pilsner.
            Last edited by Airidini; 09-20-2007, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X