Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions: trench drains and long term planning

Hello,
    As some of you may know, I am in the process of getting my brewery off the ground in the Seattle area. I have been having trouble finding a location due to the fact that commercial space is at high occupancy levels and competition is high for space. I have located and am pursuing a space but found the following limitation today when meeting with an engineer, contractor and owner rep for the property.

1) The building had settled/sunk a bit over the last few years and they ripped out the slab, put pilings down into the earth, and put an 8" pad on that. Note: this is not an old building, light industrial park, most likely built in the early 90's.

The concern: We have figured that 20 BBL tanks spaced 7 feet on center will be ok. The problem comes from the fact that we cannot cut trench drains due to the fact it will weaken the slab.

The question: What other options exist? I will have 2 drain locations but I can't see pushing the water with a squeegee everyday to them. What about shallow trench drains? Would you consider this a "deal-breaker"?

The next question is: What about long term. At some point, the 20 BBL tanks will be outgrown and 40's would be the next logical addition. I cannot see this being the case for at least 5-7-10 years if things go very well. I think this facility could do 5000 BBLs per year without getting too awkward and difficult.

Does anyone see this as a "deal-breaker" for someone who is looking long term in their planning? Obviously I cannot afford to overbuild but at the same time I want to have room for growth. Is there a standard rule of thumb for years till you outgrow the space kinda thing? Like " don't take a space unless you know you can do 7 years there?" Of course, I know that I would not take a space that I would outgrow before my lease was up. Although, what a nice problem that would be to have. I kinda know the answer....ok, you hit 5000 BBLS and outgrow the space, time to move because you are selling lots of beer and want to sell more...a good thing. But am I missing something?

I know there are many factors and no standard answer. I also might not have provided enough information, I can provide more if needed.

Otherwise, the building works great...roll up doors, 14 ft ceiling, shell condition that is ready to build out, retail entrances, plenty of parking, easy to get to, plenty of power.

PS. Production brewery with 50 seat taproom. 5600-5800 SF.

Thank you,
    Beaux Bowman

Hiya' Beaux,
    We had a similar situation: building on slab, couldn't but into the floor, needed trench drain. We went the other direction: we poured another sloped floor with a center, sloped trench drain on top of the existing slab. It is my opinion that to have a successful production area, sloped floors and adequate floor drains are a MUST! Squeeging all the time is not only inefficient, but builds mental trauma over the long term. I would advise that bypassing a trench drain and sloped floors is not a smart shortcut.
    As far as building size for the future, do what you can with what you have where you are.
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
    X